5E3 Rectifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5E3 Rectifier

Can a 5E3 Deluxe be converted to take a GZ34 or a 5U4GA?

Easily. Just change the power transformer to one with the proper voltage and current.

Comment

Depending on what the PT secondaries were rated at, it might also be wise to change the output tubes to 6L6s, since you will most likely end up with a higher B+. So it would also pay to check your plate voltages and make sure the cathode biasing around the amp was appropriate for the increased voltages.

A stock Deluxe PT high voltage winding with a 5Y3GT puts out about 360VDC at the B+. A 5U4GB off a 300-0-300 winding puts out around 370VDC at the B+, so it would go even higher with a 320-0-320 winding. A 5U4G would also draw more current from the 5V winding and the HT winding, and if you are going to put the higher voltage output tubes in they will draw more current from the HT winding, so your PT should have a higher volts-amps rating on the sec windings for the recto winding and the HT winding. In theory you should also check and adjust your power supply resistors to the other valves to make sure you were balancing out the impact of otherwise increased plate supply voltages everywhere.
      Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Originally posted by markammon1979 View Post
        Can a 5E3 Deluxe be converted to take a GZ34 or a 5U4GA?
        Is it a real one or clone?
        GZ34... probably not without some other changes... 5U4GA maybe...
        Bruce

Mission Amps
        Denver, CO. 80022
        www.missionamps.com
        303-955-2412

Comment

5v4?

I've got a NOS 5v4 in there at the moment. Is that ok?

Comment

I use a 5V4 in mine as well...gives just a smidge of extra headroom.

Comment

Working...
            X