J an P Bass spacing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J an P Bass spacing

Anyone know the flatwork spacing ( for the wire )for J and also P Bass ?

Thanks

Mick

Mick,

Not sure what you mean here? There are several eras of P and J pickups and the magnets never matched up with the string spacing anyway. What are you trying to recreate? I take the measurements right off the bass in question and drill my flatwork accordingly. If I have to use the old covers then there is no point in trying to rectify the string spacing issues. Otherwise I get blank covers and drill them myself for the corrected spacing.

Comment

Oliginal P. Bass measure 9.55mm between each magnet, centre to centre. 1960- 72 J. Bass neck pickup measure 62.9mm centre to centre for outside magnets. Blidge pickup 66.2mm. All pairs 7.2 centre to centre. After mid 1972, back pickup reduce to 65.7 for outside magnets for rest of 70's. Hope this help. Good luck finding covers to fit!

Comment

Sorry guys I meant the distance between the top and bottom flatwork..where the wire sits ,

Mick

Comment

If you're talking about the coil height, the distance from the top of the bottom bobbin to the bottom of the top bobbin, a rare out of print book states:
          P-bass .343"
          J-bass .531"

Comment

Actually, anybody know where to get good fitting J. Bass covers for vintage pickups? Mexican covers fit perfect, Duncans not bad, but all others don't. Any ideas?

Comment

I've never seen two J pickup covers that had the same exact dimensions. Every manufacturer is different. None of the after-market cast pickups ever seem to fit correctly either.

Where does one get the Mexican covers other than from Fender?

Comment

I think I've read where the MIM JB pickups changed. They were either both the same size and changed to two different widths, or the other way around. And they probably don't match anything else.

Here's a link for covers. I've never used them.
                http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/bpickup_covers.htm

Comment

To get back to the topic, I just measured the height on a Jackson P pickup which was handy and the numbers went from .266 to .277.

Other than that I only have Squire P bass which looks like steel and ceramic so I won't bother with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Lee Guy View Post
                    Oliginal P. Bass measure 9.55mm between each magnet, centre to centre. 1960- 72 J. Bass neck pickup measure 62.9mm centre to centre for outside magnets. Blidge pickup 66.2mm. All pairs 7.2 centre to centre. After mid 1972, back pickup reduce to 65.7 for outside magnets for rest of 70's. Hope this help. Good luck finding covers to fit!
                    Coil height for those years is ...
                    int main(void) {return 0;} /* no bugs, lean, portable & scalable... */
                    www.ozbassforum.com

Comment

Got them....sorted thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mkat View Post
                        Coil height for those years is ...
                        Is that a question?

If it is, I'm bumping this thread cuz I would love to know that too
                        www.MaillouxBasses.com
                        www.OzBassForum.com

Comment

Originally posted by Phil m View Post
                          Is that a question?

If it is, I'm bumping this thread cuz I would love to know that too
                          Yep.

Sam, are there differences in the coil height of Jazz Bass pickups for the years you mentioned?
                          www.ozbassforum.com

Comment

All old J. Bass pickups average 19.9mm long magnets with 2.4mm thick top and bottom and 12.7 - 12.9mm coil height. Early 60's ones have a bit less magnet poking out of the top, but overall this is very inconsistant and average would be 1.5mm for early one. P.Bass have average 13.5mm long (15.9-16.0 for A poles on 1957- early 58) magnet, 2.4mm thick top and bottom and coil height of 6.4 - 6.6mm. Same thing with magnet poking out of top. Many Fender pickups bent when wound and coil height measures more at ends because of this.

Comment

Good stuff and interesting to note the changes over the years.
                              www.ozbassforum.com

Comment

Working...
                              X