Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new toy. Old Eminar amp

Hi guys,

A friend gave me this old Eminar amp head to mess around with.

Eminar is an old Australian company that made Guitar, Bass and PA amps in the 70s and early 80s.

I have been unable to find any schematics for this amp unfortunately. The model number on the front is H2008. Inside, the build date and assemblers initials are written in black pen.
    On a different area of the chassis 250W Bass is written.

If anyone has any info at all on these amps it would be greatly appreciated.

I will throw some pics up for you all to take a peek.

As you will see in the pics it is missing 2 output tubes and 2 large capacitors.
    I would like to replace the caps but i am unsure what their specs would have been. I am leaning towards them being the same as the other 2 that are beside the holes.

Is the small valve in the middle of the output stage a rectifier?

No, it is your phase inverter.

It looks to be a very simple amp, and considering it is neatly made and laid out, with tons of room, it should take no time at all to trace out the schematic from the layout. I could pretty much do it from the photos.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks,

I might have a go at drawing up a schematic.

Gary

Comment

G.day mate

I got a schematic for a PA version of an eminar , in which the power supply and power amp is much the same as yours . look for anzamps . Its an australian site and im sure you will find lots of interesting stuff there .

Comment

Thanks mate

Comment

Hi There, would it be possible for you to take a closer picture of the bottom parts of the amp thankyou. By the way, replace the missing capacitors with 2 100mfd 400v capacitors in series and that will work. IE Red wire to the positive and blue to the negative of the first capacitor, then connect the negative of the first capacitor to the positive of the second capacitor and the negative of the second capacitor to ground. Hope this helps.

Comment

I can get some pics for you today. Where there any specific parts you needed a close-up on?

Cheers

Gary

Comment

Hi, Mainly where the power transformer and also near the AC mains input areas because someone has attempted to repair and has cut some of the wires. Thankyou..
                Regards Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by DISCOBUGS View Post
                  Hi, Mainly where the power transformer and also near the AC mains input areas because someone has attempted to repair and has cut some of the wires. Thankyou..
                  Regards Andrew

Will get pics of that and post tommorow.

Are you saying that someone has cut some of my wires, or do you have one of these also and someone has cut your wires?

Cheers

gary

Comment

Hi Gary, wires have been cut on the amp Im trying to repair.

Comment

This one was a bit big so i have posted a link.
                      It is another shot of the bottom of the PT.

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsly6up/amp...pt%20close.JPG

Let me know if you need any more pics.

I have already replaced the caps as you will see in the pics. They are wired as you said but i am unsure where the black wire that comes from (or goes to) the 0 terminal of the PT should be connected. At the moment it is connected to one wire of the indicator light.

Although in some pics it looks like i have these connected to the cap they are not.

If the amp you have there has the same switch setup could you post a pic of them for me please?

You will also notice that i have replaced the power socket and fuse holder. If you need pics of the old stuff i think i could dig something up. Wiring is all the same though.

Gary

Comment

Can anybody advise where the neutral wire might attach?

One end is obviously connected to the neutral terminal of the power socket. It then travels to a tab under the PT labelled 0. From that tab it travels over towards the power and standy switches and the 100uF caps. The loose end is pictured in the last pic above. It is currently connected to one wire of the indicator light but i don't believe this is where it should be.

Cheers

Gary

Comment

Hi, I own the same exact model amp. the blue face amp's were the last of their kind. I was told that they were copied from Ritchie blackmore's 200W Marshall. You will notice the point to point wiring, that's is high quality. What ever you do, Do not!!! I repeat Do not try to wipe or remove the rust off the transformers. That will wreck them. All in all I can honestly say that my 100W Marshall cannot compare with the Eminar. My Marshall is the best there is but when it comes to absolute power and punch, the Eminar cannot be matched. If you ever want to sell that amp, let me know.

Comment

Hi, nice to see the old girl isn't the only one out there. Any chance you could send me some pics of its underbelly. Mine still isn't up and running, been busy with other stuff.
                            Would really love to be able to compare the wiring on mine with an identical amp.

Cheers

Gary

Comment

Hi Gary, as soon as I get a chance I will post heaps of pic's from under the chassis. These amps are incredible. I've used 6550's KT88's EL34's and can tell you that what ever sound you're after these have it by the truck load. Don't ever sell it, not even to me (unless you really want to,ha ha), if you do your crazy. I'm running mine in stereo with a JCM 800 100W combo and it sounds incredible. What cab did you get with yours?

Comment

Working...
                              X