single coil magnets in a HB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• single coil magnets in a HB?

my guitar currently has 1 humbucker and two single coil pickups, i want to modify it so that theyre are two humbuckers, so my question is, can i use the polepieces from the two single coil pickups or do i have to use a bar magnet on the bottom, i am not very farmilliar with the workings of pickups as i am still new to this.... thanks

I am new at this thing but technically, I believe you can use the magnets from your two single coil pickups to make a humbucking pickup. BTW, I am assuming you are referring to rod alnico magnets.

The thing is, the polarity of one coil should be south while the other should be north. Hope I am right and am of some help to you.

Comment

yes i was talking about the polepiece magnets... and for the polarity, wouldnt i be able to just flipe one set of magnets over so say if the south pole was on the bottom i could just flip them over so the south pole would be on top correct? thanks for the help i hope it turns out

Comment

Originally posted by franklin01 View Post
        yes i was talking about the polepiece magnets... and for the polarity, wouldnt i be able to just flipe one set of magnets over so say if the south pole was on the bottom i could just flip them over so the south pole would be on top correct? thanks for the help i hope it turns out
        Hi,
        You might find that they're already flipped - depending upon the wiring of your guitar though you'll need a compass or small neo magnet to check this. Check if your switching arrangement has a position which lets you select the two single coils in a humbucking arrangement.

If not then you may have to flip the magnets (best pressed out with something like a drill press and a 3mm metal pin) and reverse the wiring to one pickup then connect in series or parallel.

S.

Comment

Duncan makes a humbucker with Fender style rod magnets, instead of the usual bar magnet and poles.

He says it sounds like a strat when run as a single coil.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I have a Tom Anderson? HB at home with 1/4" diameter rod magnets in both coils. It doesn't sound 'right' to me, neither fish or fowl.

You might find it easier to demagnetize one of your coils than to try to push magnets out of a pickup, not to mention running the risk of coil damage. Then you can switch one of your coils' wiring around to get what you want.

Ken
            www.angeltone.com

Comment

ok thanks for all the help, i also dont care about coil damage becasue i plan on rewinding them anyhow. i have one ore question however... does anyone know how i would wire it so that each pickup would have a single coil option too, i have a 5 way switch and there will be two pickups so i was wondering if this would work, i would also appretiate a diagram if someone had one. thanks alot fo the help

Comment

I have one of those Anderson PUs (H3) and it is just like Ken says, 1/4" rods no bar magnet. But I have it in a maple neck '96 Lone Star Strat (quite a bright sounding guitar) and it sounds just awesome!
                Very balanced sounding. Sounds fat but the high end is there as well as a very pronounced bass. This thing is very clear and dynamic sounding for a PU with such a high DCR (14K). They say at the Anderson site that this is the PU the Mesa guys use to test their amps. Don't know of this is true, but it sure does the trick for me.
                BTW, the coil-tapped sound is quite convincing when mixed with my Texas Special neck PU, sounds like a good Tele, a little on the fat side though.
                My point is...if it works for Anderson...maybe it will work for you, provided you rewind it right.

Comment

Franklin01,

all you need to make a HB go singlecoil is a switch that shorts the connection between the coils to ground.

Ken
                  www.angeltone.com

Comment

Working...
                  X