Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who makes 'real' looking aged Strat covers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who makes 'real' looking aged Strat covers?

Hello...

I've been looking all over for an 'aged white' Strat pickup cover that actually looks good, but with no success. The ones I saw either are a weird shade of brown or even greenish (!).

Anyone find an actually good looking cover?

Thank you,
    Ken
    www.angeltone.com

No one makes them but Guitar Jones come close. All these things have to be modified in some way to get them right anyway.
    sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

I've read that some folks have success and some have not, soaking them in tea or coffee. Some folks have aged them with black, or was it brown shoe polish. ....deluting it a bit.
      www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

I tried the 'coffee method' myself and for some reason didn't have too much luck with it. Maybe it was the DiM cover I used or the brand of coffee, but it came out looking kind of strange. I know about the 'shoe polish' trick but never tried it because I was afraid of the chemicals in the shoe polish dissolving the cover.

I like Fender's covers myself, but I can't afford to mess up too many of those. I wish I could but I can't buy them in bulk.

Maybe I should have used Maxwell House coffee instead of Folger's?

Ken
        www.angeltone.com

Comment

You can try Fatboy Guitars, He has some good looking covers on his web site. I have not used them but they look better than allparts and most aged covers ive seen. Hope that helps

Comment

I've used textile dye to tint pickguards, and cavity covers with good results. I cant see why it wouldn't work on pickup covers, and bobbins.

I let the dye cool down then soak the plastics anywhere from a few hours to a couple days. Just stop when get to the shade that you're looking for. There's a great selection of colors too. Mint green is easy to do. I've never tried red assuming it would be pink, but I have used brown, green, and blue.

Comment

I read somewhere (mimf, maybe?) of one guy claiming success by using brown and yellow Sharpies, smearing the blended ink on using a cloth.

Comment

Working...
              X