low frequency buzz from speaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• low frequency buzz from speaker

Im playing through a Celestion G12-50, and on lower notes on the neck(most prominent on E string 5th fret) it buzzes a little. Not a lot, but definitely a little. The dc resistance is the same as it has been, but does this sound like the speaker is torn or something? Its not audible on the higher notes, mainly from the A string down, but up along the E it is.

Is this a new speaker? Does it do it with different amps? Sometimes voice coils in older speakers become malformed from intense heat. This can cause noise because the cone moves further at lower frequencies. It may be something as simple as mounting bolt nuts that have loosened up. I like to run a signal generator up and down until I find that resonate frequency that causes the noise, then I can push around on the speaker to see where the problem is.

Comment

> It may be something as simple as mounting bolt nuts that have loosened up.

Start with the simple things.

Speaker wire bumping the cone?

Comment

The nuts were a bit loose, but though tightening those improved it, there was still buzz. I did hold the speaker wire away from for that same reason, still buzzin. It just sounds like its coming from within the speaker. Like I said, unless I really crank it and play a lower note is it only audible. Speakers are something i dont know tons about, but I am worried that there is something wrong with the speaker and its diminishing my tone even slightly. but thats just speculation and fear

Comment

Working...
        X