Classic 20 repair manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic 20 repair manual

I picked up a Peavey Classic 20 today that's in working order, but it has some issues that may affect its ability to be refurbished and resold. The most difficult problem to overcome is that most of the markings on the faceplate have rubbed off over time and use. The question is how to: 1) Replace the chassis with a new one with all markings; 2) re-silkscreen the faceplate; 3) Purchase an overlay with all the correct markings. In searching the web, it seems that the Classic 20 doesn't seem to have the after-market that old Fender or Marshall amps have. This might be a difficult task. Oh, I think option #1 is the best bet because I forgot to mention that a previous owner engraved their name on the back plate AND removed all the "Made in USA" labels.

Now, electronically speaking, the amp sounds great. However, the Master control seems to have little effect. No matter where the Master is set, the Volume control seems to control the overall volume. This does not seem right. But... I haven't popped the hood yet and take a look around. Which leads me to my next question (sorry)... Is a repair manual and component layout available? Peavey only seems to have the Users manual. I need something with voltages on it. I also want to see if any previous owners made modifications to it. In this regard, someone added a whisper fan to blow across the EL84s. Are they running too hot for some reason? To be continued...

Larry

CALL, don't email, Peavey parts at the factory. Best first thing in the AM. They can provide the schematics, they certainly do have them. There is no "service manual." They can tell you the price and availability of a new metal chassis, panel faceplate or whatever the legend is printed on.

Both the volume control and the master should affect the loudness.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Ok. First thing Tuesday. Regarding the volume controls - I'll remove the chassis this weekend and take a look. I've got a reprint of a schematic, but the type is small. I suspect a mod was made due to the added fan. Or maybe the tech thought the tubes would last longer. I'll find out and post any anomalies here. Thanks.

Larry

Comment

Working...
      X