schematic software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• schematic software

hi what do you all use for drawing schems and converting them to PCB? Or even just to draw schems?

I've been using KiCAD for going on a year. It ain't perfect, but it is complete (schem and layout) and free.

Comment

thanks Don!

Comment

maybe i'm an idiot... but can't figure out how to download KiCad... any help?

Comment

Ive been using Express schematic and pcb. Its free as well.

Comment

Originally posted by lowell View Post
            maybe i'm an idiot... but can't figure out how to download KiCad... any help?
            I agree it's not that straightforward - the author/maintainer is French and it's a multiplatform project so there are two extra levels of complexity to get past.

Hit the _site_iut_(http) link under the DOWNLOAD banner, which brings up a window offering an ugly mess of an ftp directory listing.

Assuming you're a Windows guy, pick the one that says WinXP autoinstall.
            If you're a Mac guy, sadly, KiCAD doesn't do OS-X yet. (I'm a PC guy at work and a Mac guy at home)

While that's downloading, pop back to the main window and hit the libraries link - if you see tube- or valve-specific libraries, grab them.

The installation is standard Windows, then add the extra libraries wherever KiCAD put the standard set.

Good luck!

Comment

ExpressSCH program

The nice feature about the Express SCH program is that there is a large library of editable schematics that you can modify right here:
              http://www.el34world.com/Forum/yabb2...ard=Schematics

Here's the link for the free Schematic software.
              www.expresspcb.com.

It's windows only at the moment. Maybe they will have a Mac version some day.

Comment

I had trouble with that download too, but now i'm downloading the other app, expressPCB. Thanks ! Now i can pester you all with my questions along with nice looking schematics of my haphazard noob builds !

Comment

What about Mac OSX?

Hi All. I'm also just looking to draw Tube Amp Schematics. No Simulation, etc. needed. I use Mac OS-X. I'm Only finding Windows programs, and even those are usually more complicated than I'm seeking.

I see your recommendations are not yet on Mac, but perhaps someone knows one that is. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Comment

I've tried EagleCAD, jSchem and ... Smultron? and didn't like any of them - that's just me, though.

If you have an x86 mac (i've got a G4), you have the option of using Parallels virtualization and running XP or your favorite linux and using KiCAD that way.

A little funky, but better than the options I've tried.

Hope this helps!

Comment

I use this one - works okay on my Mac

http://dhost.info/jschem/
                      Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Originally posted by lowell View Post
                        hi what do you all use for drawing schems and converting them to PCB? Or even just to draw schems?
                        I've used ViewLogic for many years, and do PCB layout in PADS. However, my personal choice for tube amps is ORCAD.

-g

Comment

Anyone know what Marshall amps uses to draw their shematics. I realy like the look.
                          I just do it in multisim but i gets bulky because components are huge and some component text wont be hidden.

Comment

Thanks!

Originally posted by tubeswell View Post
                            I use this one - works okay on my Mac

http://dhost.info/jschem/

Thank You! This one works well, and is at least 92% Intuitive. Very Easy and Fast to Install too.

Comment

Working...
                            X