keeping bucker bobbins mint....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keeping bucker bobbins mint....

I'm trying to come up with some method of keeping the bucker bobbins from getting any kind of fine scratches or dullness during construction of the pickups and not having alot of luck so far. I tried scotch taping them but holy crap the tape comes off in tiny little pieces, that stuff sticks way too good. Can't find any thicker tape like that either. Blue tape sorta works but putting the slugs in etc. its kinda ugly to have small bits of blue tape stuck in the crevices after jamming the slugs in. I was told you could polish the bobbins with Brasso but it dulls them actually. Would rather keep them mint during construction that try to create another mess to clean up trying to polish them. I do very few uncovered buckers but am getting more calls for them.....
    http://www.SDpickups.com
    Stephens Design Pickups

Dave,

Try the 3M 233+ green tape. I use it in many phases of guitar production. It has a medium hold adhesive but the paper is stronger than most masking tapes. I also use it punch circular masks for masking tailpiece inserts during finishing. After punching out with a steel punch, the matrix removes from my substrate very cleanly, despite web only about 1/16" wide. It doesn't fragment easily. Worth a try. Get it at Grainger or auto body paint supply houses.
    Jack Briggs

sigpic
    www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

I use the green as well.

Comment

The only time that I get scratches is while I'm wiping the wax off after potting. They are not really scratches, just more of a haze...or maybe "swirl" marks. Haven't found a good way around it yet, but I'm looking.
        -Stan
        ...just transferring wire from one spool to another
        Stan Hinesley Pickups
        FaceBook

Comment

I've been using the blue painter's tape too. Works like charm until, as dave said, you have to insert the slugs. The screw side works perfect with the blue tape...you can actually screw it down until the bottom of the head begins to enter the hole....and then peel it off.... The tape actually stablizes/holds the screw when you begin to insert it into the bobbin. It also minimizes damage when the screwdriver slips off and hits the bobbin. And I hate when that happens.

I'm trying to get around to making a jig to use on my press like Stan's...seems like i never get the time.

I'll have to try the 3M green tape...3M always has good stuff.
          Last edited by kevinT; 06-15-2008, 11:57 PM. Reason: wandering fingers
          www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

I use a glass polish. Works brilliantly.
            sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
              I'm trying to come up with some method of keeping the bucker bobbins from getting any kind of fine scratches or dullness during construction of the pickups
              Which stage of manufacture causes the problem for you?
              Bulldog Pickups

Matamp

Comment

I like to use a buffing whell, and a fine compound with a loose mop and a feather touch....You may want to use an empty bobbin first to try different compounds and see how hard/soft you have to be so the Bobbin does'nt melt...Can't wait to get a few more replys and ideals.....I'm all ears: )

Comment

I do very few uncovered buckers but am getting more calls for them.....
                  Funny you mention it... in my case all I'm asked to do is to take the covers off!

I don't make p'ups, I just repair/fix/mod'em. Maybe that's somehow a clue why's so?

Pepe aka lt. Kojak
                  Milano, Italy
                  Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                  Milano, Italy

Comment

Without covers the pickups will be more clear sounding, encasing a pickup in metal knocks off some treble. Some think it just looks cool too :-)
                    http://www.SDpickups.com
                    Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Working...
                    X