Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a 8 string octave bass

Hey im new here but Im curious if anyone has any info on how to make a
    8 string octave bass. For those who don't know what it is. Its a bass with both bass and guitar strings. im not sure if i need bass pickups or not. Since its a bass i think it needs bass pickups. but im curious if anyone can help.

Have you read Melvyn Hiscock's book "Build your own electric guitar"?? In the book he shows how he builds an 8 string bass guitar. I think he uses regular bass humbuckers for it.

Comment

Here's one I made some years ago:

I used P-bass pickups, because at the time DiMarzio Model P's were popular. I later rewound them to low impedance for a better tone.

I wouldn't use guitar pickups. I find the more hi-fi the bass pickup, the better the tone on an 8-string. The original model P's had a harsh midrange when used with an 8-string. Another thing I discovered was that the original neck on this bass was a modified Fender style bolt on. later I made my own neck with an ebony board, two truss rods and graphite. This neck really transformed the tone of the bass. It now has more low end, and a more musical midrange. I think the graphite rods really even out the tone.
      Last edited by David Schwab; 10-21-2006, 06:29 PM.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
      X