What tapes for an Echoplex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What tapes for an Echoplex

Hi. Except Fidelipac Dynamax tapes, do you know special lubricated tapes for an Echoplex ? I see, by example, the BASF LGR 50 or Ampex/Quantegy 478. But I don't know if these two last tapes are abrasive for the tape heads. Your experiences are welcome. Pierre

Check eBay U.S. there are many made for Echoplex for sale.

Comment

Hi Strat62. I know that there are a lot of tape cartrigde purposed on Ebay, from Mike Battle, Fulltone... But I want to reload my own cartridges with good lubricated and back-lubricated tape. Pierre

Comment

This is a good post and anyone needing to have their echo machine tape replaced should think about the proper tape to use. Unfortunately, I learned too late about the proper lubricated tape to use and I sent my cartridge out to have it rewound. For anyone who doesn't know already, the proper tape for endless loop cartridges used in echo machines should be the lubricated type designed for endless loop cartridges and not the very abrasive Ampex 456 tape which wears out the heads -- this is not the type that should be used for endless loop echo machine tape. If anyone is considering mailing their cartridge out to get rewound with new tape, be aware that Loop-Master.com where I sent my cartridge is using Ampex 456 for rewinding your Echoplex cartridge. I can't understand why they're doing it, I think it's standard knowledge in the industry that Ampex 456 is known as "sandpaper" tape and bad for echo machines as it wears the heads faster than lubricated tape. Had I known, I would've sent my cartridge elsewhere.

When I learned how to rewind the carts myself, I researched and found that both BASF LGR 50 and Quantegy 478 mentioned in the post above are excellent for endless loop and echo machines. I'd take either one, but I think next time my carts need rewinding I'm going to try cheap ordinary 8-track tape instead.

Comment

So I am, I have the same informations about BASF LGR 50 & Quantegy (or Ampex) 478. Maybe, another tape can be used : the ampex 457, and generally, all back-lubricated tapes. But all these tapes are very rare. Pierre

Comment

Right Pierre, the Ampex 457 is another good one for endless loop also, I read it has good lubrication and good fidelity too. My understanding is that most magnetic tape which isn't used for final mastering recording is acceptable and contains good lubrication for endless looping. I thought about trying some of the general purpose regular Scotch 3M tape or another good BASF tape, or any tape not used for final mastering like the 456. When I see that 8-track tape is very good tape to run in your echo machine, and I see that it's very inexpensive and readily available, then I just have to try it. And I can't beat the price either, a used 8-track cartridge is a real bargain at 50 cents at nearly all thrift stores. And enough tape in one cartridge for a lot of refills on your Echoplex cartridge. The cost is just pennies to reload your 2 minute Echoplex cartridge. And if you screw up reloading your cartridge, it's no big loss. You can probably load your Echoplex about 20 times or so with just one 8 track. Can't beat that deal.

I only paid once to have someone else reload my cartridge with bad tape, but I'm glad I learned very early how to do it myself -- and real cheap too, especially now with 8 Track tape. I'll still keep watching for a good deal on BASF LGR 50 and Quantegy 478 and 457 whenever it comes along and if the price is right. Tough to beat 50 cents though, for 8 track tape.

Comment

Hi Shreal. Look at this :
              http://cgi.ebay.com/2-sealed-7-reels...3286.m14.l1318

Comment

Bpier, wow that was a great deal! Good find.
                I'm just reading posts again after a few days off. I wish I saw your post earlier, I would've liked that tape. I guess there will be other deals coming along, just got to be patient and look for them. Sure would like to have some 478.

Comment

This is the kind of tape you should use in your Echoplex.

Or this, for a little more money.

An 1800 foot reel will give you 48 two minute reloads.

If you reload your cartridge three times a year, one reel will last you sixteen years.

I know it's fifty bucks, but $50 divided by 16 is $3.13 a year, that's cheap. New cartridges are $35 or more, and having someone reload it for you can cost up to $20.
                  Stop by my web page!

Comment

How would an Ampex Plus Series eight track work for loops? I can't find anything on the plus series.

Comment

I don't know.

Comment

hi
                        just thought i'de throw this out
                        i have an echoplex tape from the 70's. somehow i ended up with it and never had an echoplex...lol...
                        appears it was never used....its in an orange box with SIRECO tape cartridge
                        by echoplex...side of box ,,MARKET ELECTRONICS INC CLEVELAND OHIO.

have no idea if its worth anything....70's cost on box is $9.95...lol
                        Clay

Comment

learn to wind your own. there's "new manufacture" ones on ebay, but they are not an exact retrofit. if ya gotta get 'em new, get the actual echoplex plastic ones so you don't get any surprises...don't use mastering tape, it chews up your heads...look for psa cartridges on ebay...they're cheap, and have enough tape for a couple reloads, and are the right kind of tape.

Comment

Originally posted by pinkjimiphoton View Post
                            learn to wind your own. there's "new manufacture" ones on ebay, but they are not an exact retrofit. if ya gotta get 'em new, get the actual echoplex plastic ones so you don't get any surprises...don't use mastering tape, it chews up your heads...look for psa cartridges on ebay...they're cheap, and have enough tape for a couple reloads, and are the right kind of tape.
                            A good tape for Echoplex and other tape echos are BASF Soundloop cartridge lubricated eight tracks

Comment

Working...
                            X