6CG7 As Reverb Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6CG7 As Reverb Driver

Looking at the specs of a 6CG7 it looks like you could use one triode to drive a typical Fender style reverb transformer and tank. Has anyone tried it? Any problems you can forsee? Am I just crazy? Thanks.
    Dave

Take a look at an Ampeg Gemini II schem,that is exactly what they use.

Comment

And speaking about Ampeg - these tubes were commonly used by Ampeg for capacitively coupled reverb drivers - my favorite. After having built a testbed amp out of a Bogen mixer a few years ago that allowed me to switch between several reverb drive types - 6CG7 cap coupled, 12AT7 tranformer (1 triode or two paralleled), a 12AU7 same as preceeding (same socket, more drive signal, bias, etc.), 6AQ5 transformer and cap coupled - I realized that I liked the 6CG7 best for it's "crisp" reverb quality. For some reason the 6AQ5 ini either triode or BPT mode sounded "muddier." The ironic part is my stage map is the '67 Vibrolux which I don't want to hack so I perform with the "standard" Fender 12AT7 setup, sigh.
      So if you want to go with the 6CG7 just copy the Ampeg circuit - I used the V-4 one - and you'll save the cost of the reverb tranny (use a good quality coupling cap as these fail fairly often in vintage Ampegs).

Rob

Comment

Cool! Thanks guys. I'll check out those schematics. I already have a reverb transformer lying around as well as the 6CG7 so I might just go the "regular" Fender route, but I'll look more closely at the capacitor coupled circuit. I've worked on a couple of Ampegs and I recall one used that style of reverb and it sounded pretty good. Decisions............
        Dave

Comment

Working...
        X