What gauge speaker wire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What gauge speaker wire?

I need to know the proper gauge for my 40 Watt Fender BandMaster. I have a couple 12" Jensens to go in it and I dont to just put in what I have layin around unless its the right stuff.. Any opinions? Suggestions?

something multi-stranded and insulated. The more strands the better for durability and reliability - upto a point where flexibility is a PITA. ;-) Other than than there is no optimum gauge. (but if you want a more definite answer for the sake of numbers, something between 24 and 12 I guess)
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

I'd agree, the speaker wires are only a foot long, so there won't be any resistive losses to speak of. I'd use 18 or 16 just for sturdiness on the speaker. Inside 20 should suffice. Excess wire size just gets in the way.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Well, as a point of reference pro and super reverbs used i believe 20 gauge wire so anything that size or larger would be more than adequate. The only reason I'd say to go up to 18 or 16 gauge is if you had the head on one side of the stage and the cabinet was placed a fair distance away. And given that you're wiring up speakers internally that doesn't even come into play.

So, bottom line is that anything under 20 gauge is pushing the lower limit and anything over about 18 gauge is overkill. Just make sure you use tinned wire with a good jacket that wont split open on you if you get a little heavy handed with the soldering iron.

-Carl

Comment

lamp cord from the local hardware store works just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by TD_Madden View Post
            yes, i agree.

Comment

While I do agree that a chunk of zip cord from the hardware store would work in a pinch, it's hardly the preferred method. Hell, tinned stranded wire is cheap enough that there's really no excuse for cobbling something together like that. Bout 10 feet of 18 gauge pre-tinned and stranded wire would probably cost less than the gas it takes to get to the hardware store.

Order up a spool or two from apex jr, antique electronics, mouser, digi-key or any number of places and just be done with it and sleep well knowing you did the job right.

-Carl

Comment

Originally posted by TD_Madden View Post

Bose uses 22 awg solid wire inside their 901 speakers. Lamp cord would be an "upgrade".

-g

Comment

Back in the old days lamp cord was pretty much the standard.Cant even estimate how many old Fenders I've seen with old brown lamp cord for speaker wires.

Comment

There's a somewhat upgraded type of zip cord referred to in "real" hardware stores (the ones that still sell carbide, oakum, and quicklime) referred to as "electric heater" cord which has thicker, more abrasion resistant insulation and a better quality, thicker higher strand count wire that I've used for decades (sorry can't remember the gauge right now and am too lazy to hunt up a piece <grin>) which makes a better speaker wire than the high prices stuff supposedly custom made for speaker wire. But if you go to Lowes or Home Despot they probably won't have any idea what you're talking about - but I've never tried to find it there as we still have 3-4 real hardware stores left in the county. Just my two cents but it's what I use on stage and I've never had any problem with it - just wish it were a brighter color (brown is all I've ever seen) to keep folks from tripping over it on a dark stage.

Rob

Comment

16ga. is common in zip cord. I like soldering directly to the speaker, so I like to make it pretty and permanent.

Comment

Working...
                      X