6505+ just quit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6505+ just quit

Last night I was playing along and my 6505+ just quit. No warning, no weird pops, snarls, or whines just stopped. All the lights continued to function and the switched continued to work just fine. At least as far as the lights are concerned. But there is no sound whatsoever. Even the hissing noise from the gain channel stopped. I tried all different cables, different cabs all to the same problem. All power tubes are still glowing. The preamps I can't tell one way or the other. Does anyone now what my problem may be and whether it is worth fixing. Someone one told me if the output transformer ever goes out then basically your screwed so that is the biggest thing I am worried about.
    Thanks
    Matt

Your going to need to be really careful here because inside the amp are voltages that can kill you so watch where you touch. Power the amp down and let it sit for about ten minutes or while you take the screws out of the bottom and pull the chassis from the cabinet. Inside you'll see some fuses coming from some colored wires. One of those fuses is bad and replace it with the exact amperage or you may be replacing a transformer next. You might also think about a tube change as it's the most likely cause the fuse blew.
    KB

Comment

There has been one more development. I left the amp at the local music store to let my friend look at it to see if maybe he nows what is going on and when he plugged it in it worked just fine. Here is what I know. Last night when it went we only let it cool for about 20 minutes before we began trouble shooting. Then earlier today when I went to the music store and tried it the amp had been in my car for about an hour so it was warm and still did not work. It was sitting inside for about 2 hours when he tried so this sounds like a tube problem to me now, just as you said. Any other ideas?

Comment

Check your speaker cable very well and make sure that post control is always up a tad. Could have been the loop jacks or something loose and it connected back when you moved it.
        KB

Comment

Working...
        X