Pedal Board Power Supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedal Board Power Supply

Hey - does anybody have a good circuit for a pedal board PS? Something akin to the DC Brick, or similar units. I need 4 each 9v outs with the capability to push it at about an amp.

TIA,

Dave Skowron

Have you checked out this recent thread on R.G.'s power supply?

http://music-electronics-forum.com/s...ead.php?t=8587
    -Mike

Comment

Thanks. I did a cursory search for "Power supplies" and it came up blank. I'll be sure to follow and contribute to that thread. It's just what I was looking for. I appreciate your help.

Dave Skowron

Comment

Have you checked out an off the shelf One Spot or the Godlyke switching power supply. MF has them. They are about $35 for the kit the last time I looked. I don't know what your current demand is but I run 8 pedals off of one with no problems. They are daisy chain types and are not individually isolated but are what most people use nowadays and come with adaptor plugs for just about any pedal power jack. It may be a cheaper and easier solution than building something.

Comment

Thanks OldDawg. These are what I was looking for. I also want a project that'll keep me busy for a few days. I might get one of these units to use while I build my other supply. I just gotta build something. I got the itch after completeing a 5E3 last week!

Comment

What I recommend to people is to make themselves what I call a "power distribution block". Basically, what it is at heart is a "multiple" jack for your wallwart.

Works like this.

Get yourself a decent wallwart that puts out in the neighbourhood of 500ma to 1A. Switching supplies in wallwart form can provide lots of current in a lightweight and cost-effective package, but if you use digital effects, there is the outside risk of noise being produced, so let's start with an old school non-switching wallwart. You can find these puppies anywhere for peanuts at yard sales and such.

Now get yourself a little plastic box like the kind they sell in Radio Shack, and about a half dozen 2.1mm barrel (Boss-style) jacks. The most commonly available panel/chassis mount jacks of that type tend to short out to the chassis they are screwed onto so that makes the use of a plastic box imperitive.

Wire up all the jacks so that the grounds and hot lugs are connected to each as required. The wallwart plugs into the distribution box, and the you can whip up some power patch cables to run from the distribution box to the individual pedals. "Daisy-chain" cables are also possible, but I'm sure you realize that it is rare you can find one such cable that fits all your distance and pedal-shape needs, so having multiple starting points from the distribution box is a nice feature.

What is also nice about this arrangement is that:
            a) you can leave the distribution box on the pedalboard and simply unplug the wallwart from it at the point when you pack up,
            b) you can add more regulation and smoothing in the distribution box by means of regulators and/or caps,
            c) you can have more than one supply voltage (e.g., using a 15vdc wallwart and regulating it down to provide 12vdc and 9vdc)
            c) you can add a power-on LED on the distribution box to show when the main supply is on.

...etc., etc.

It's simply a really convenient way of doing things and adds tremendous flexibility to one's power considerations.

Comment

Another cool idea. Thanks Mark. I appreciate your input.

Dave Skowron

Comment

Mark, how to you mitigate ground loops with that design, or have you not had a problem?
                -Mike

Comment

Working...
                X