Broken knob on a Boss octave pedal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken knob on a Boss octave pedal.

Hey everyone. I have an octave pedal that is a little under the weather. Someone stepped on it and snapped off the mode knob. It seems like it's going to be sort of a pain to take it apart, and I'm not sure if it's repairable at all. Has anyone dealt with this before? I'd really appreciate any advice, links to spare parts, etc.

You can call or email tech support at http://www.bossus.com/support/ and tell them the model # of the pedal and which pot is broken.You can order it directly from them.

CJ

Comment

Okay, thanks. I also need advice on how to go about replacing the knob, if anyone can offer any. Here's a little cross-section of the pedal I did in MSPaint. I think I can extract the circuit board by removing the nuts from below each of the knobs. However, it looks to me like I would have to remove the knobs to do that. They seem to be mounted simply with glue, but I'm not positive. I don't want to try to pull a knob off without knowing for sure that I'm not going to damage the pedal further.

I've also attached an image of the pedal, just in case. Just to reiterate, the Mode knob, all the way on the right, is the one that was broken. The metal stem inside the knob was bent and eventually snapped.
      Attached Files

Comment

The knob should pull off without any problems. It is not glued...at least at the factory its not glued on. Hopefully the previous owner didn't glue it on?

Simply remove all of the knobs from each potentiometer, remove all of the nuts holding each pot onto the chassis. Once this is done, the circuit board should drop out and become accessible so you can replace the bad Mode rotary switch.

Keep in mind that as you work inside the pedal, wires will get stretched and pulled and may break away from the circuit board. Make sure you know where these wires go so you can put them back in case they break away. I would suggest drawing all of the wire locations on a sheet of paper prior to performing the repair.

Also, you will need some degree of soldering and desoldering skills to remove the Mode switch and solder it back in place.

Good luck,

Comment

Hey, thanks again! I thought drawing a wire diagram might be a good idea, since the wires seemed to be pretty short. I think I can probably take care of it now. I appreciate all your help!

Comment

Working...
          X