No announcement yet.

B-52 AT100 Schematic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nah, I don't think it's a broken connection. I think something must be burnt out. The signal is there, and the tone isn't messed up, it's just super-quiet. I have a 8W practice amp that's louder than it is now. I figure it's something in the power section, but beyond that I'm kinda stumped. I know it's not the power tubes, cause I tried just playing with the first pair, and then just playing with the second pair and there was no volume change. All the tubes, (power, pre, rectifier, and reverb) glow and none of them make any noise when tapped with a pencil. Do you know how one would check the rectifier tube? I've heard that can be a possibility with volume drop.

Comment

Also, there was no burnt smell or obviously singed components.

Comment

Why have you decided it is in the power amp or power supply? If the preamp signal simply doesn;t get to the power amp, it will also sound very weak.

If a broken connection opens the signal path, in most guitar amps ther is enough crosstalk that something still comes out just from coupling.

That is why the first thing we usually suggest in a dim amp is to patch from send to return in the FX loop jacks, and also at the preamp out and power amp in jacks, if the amp has them.

Certainly a broken connection at a coupling cap can seriously reduce signal level if between stages. (Well, I suppose if it is a coupling cap it has to be between stages.)
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Enzo, thanks. I patched the effects send directly to the return and the volume came back. Any tips on commonly broken connections to look for?

Comment

Your return jack has bad contacts. The little contacts on the jack that open when something is plugged in. If they get dirty or oxidized, then when nothing is plugged in, they don;t complete the electrical circuit like they should.

Clean those contacts or replace the return jack.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I'm a little confused.

It's not back 100%, maybe like 50%. Also before when it was working fine, if I switched on the effects loop there was always a slight signal drop, nothing too significant though, a much smaller drop than I have now.

For a rough comparison, yesterday when my signal was all the way down, I could crank it at 6AM and my upstairs neighbor would never hear it. Now with the effects send patched to return its about loud enough to play with a drummer when cranked. Usually when playing with a band I only have the master vol between 12 and 3 oclock.

Comment

OK< then you have more than one problem. Fix the FX loop, and move on the the rest of it.

Comment

Yeah, I figured that wasn't right, but the FX loop was like that since I got it. Any pointers of where to start?

Comment

There was a tech in Cali that reported he had to redue all of those white connectors as they were not making good contact. Not sure which connectors he used or if he just soldered them into the board but he said there were more than 2 causing problems so keep that in mind.
                    KB

Comment

Yeah I bet, those things feel cheap as hell. I don't know why they couldn't use one ribbon cable like Mesa. Arg!

Comment

I'm contemplating lining the back grate with pancake fans so the damn thing will stop overheating and dying on me.

Comment

Used b-52 at 212

Okay, someone please tell me if I'm absolutely making a mistake.

I went to guitar center yesterday and played a used B52 AT 212 @ $400.00and absolutely loved the sounds I was hearing. Everything seemed to work fine so I put it on lay away.

I've read a substantial amount of bad reviews prior to my amp decision but, what can I say, I like the way it sounds.

I'm trying to convince myself that it's worth the trouble, but maybe one of you that knows first hand can talk some sense into me...

Comment

Okay, someone please tell me if I'm absolutely making a mistake.

I went to guitar center yesterday and played a used B52 AT 212 @ $400.00and absolutely loved the sounds I was hearing. Everything seemed to work fine so I put it on lay away.

I've read a substantial amount of bad reviews prior to my amp decision but, what can I say, I like the way it sounds.

I'm trying to convince myself that it's worth the trouble, but maybe one of you that knows first hand can talk some sense into me...

Comment

Yes, you obviously made a mistake. You posted the same thing twice in a row. That looks like a mistake to me.

or is that not what you meant?

You should buy an amplifier that sounds good TO YOU. It doesn't matter in the slightest whether I like the sound of it, it won;t be my amp.

Guys write reviews all the time. "This amp sucks." Well, what does that mean? He didn;t like it for some reason or other. Maybe he was expecting metal tones from a Fender Deluxe. Maybe he wanted smooth jazz tones and he bought a 5150. Who knows. if a guy like me who fixes amps for a living tells you that they all break a lot, then don't buy it. But when a guy hates the tone, that is subjective. if you like it, then it sounds good to the guy who cares - you.

Comment

I second Enzo. The B-52 AT series has good tone if that's the tone you're looking for. But treat it more gently then you would an infant. Definately, DEFINATELY!!!! buy a clip on fan and attach it to the back to keep it cool. THEY GET HOTTT!!!!! I've replaced a power transformer and several tube sockets just from simple overheating. Also be careful of the handle, mine pulled out of the wood. But tone-wise, it's a great bargain.

Comment

Working...
                                X