What brand of Pickup is this ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What brand of Pickup is this ?

Got this pickups for rewinds.It has two alnico magnets waxed into the middle of an aircoil.Came with a closed nicklesilver cover.Would lioke to know about winding specs.Thanks
    db
    Attached Files

Looks homemade to me, won't be fun to do over....
    http://www.SDpickups.com
    Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

I think I've seen this before...

... it was in some old european guitar... italian or german from early '60s?

I remember having a lot of trouble adjusting'em... rusty screws broke up... hmmm...

The p'ups sounded horrible, that's all I can remember; sorry if it didn't help at all.

Try looking into this site; at the time the italians constructed a lot of instruments for the germans, as the labor was a lot cheaper.

http://www.fetishguitars.com/

Good luck!
      Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
      Milano, Italy

Comment

Thanks

No,
        it is not from europe.
        The owner told me it came out of an old epiphone.It is made out of american materials.It is wound with Plain enamel and has a singlebraided wire alike my old PAT mini humbuckers wich is a bit smaller in diameter than the full size PAF style humbucker wire..The nickle silver cover is made simple but does not look homebrewed.
        cheers
        db

Comment

Originally posted by Electricdaveyboy View Post
          The owner told me it came out of an old epiphone. It is made out of american materials. It is wound with Plain enamel and has a singlebraided wire alike my old PAT mini humbuckers which is a bit smaller in diameter than the full size PAF style humbucker wire.
          If you can measure the DC resistance (assuming the coil isn't open), the physical dimensions of the coil, and the wire guage, it is possible to estimate the number of turns. If it's an open circuit, getting most of the wax out and weighing the coil on a precision scale ought to get you close.

Or you can slowly unwind it on a winder and and see how many turns there were.

The nickel silver cover is made simple but does not look homebrewed.
          In the photo it looks like scratched chrome or nickel plate. Nickel silver is a very soft metal, like brass, and so when worn looks almost frosted.

Comment

It is an Epiphone pickup. It's a pre-New Yorker without adjustable poles. They were badly microphonic so you can see why someone has wax potted it. There should be some plastic trim over those 'ears' where the screws hold them down to the guitar body.

Click image for larger version

Name:	epipick1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	812623

They are wonderful sounding pickups by the way.
            sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

According to this website, it's a 1950 non-adjustable NewYork Century pickup.
              Attached Files
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Thanks for the info !
                I did not have to rewind the pickup.I found that the start of the coil was broken off its ground conection.
                Had to get rid of the wax before I cound see.So I could save the old coil.
                Funny thing is : the bottomplate were the coil is rested is made from magnetic steel.The cover is made from non ferrous nickle silver.

Comment

Originally posted by Electricdaveyboy View Post
                  Funny thing is : the bottomplate were the coil is rested is made from magnetic steel.The cover is made from non ferrous nickle silver.
                  That's how the old Burns Trisonics are too. They use a ceramic magnet sitting on a steel plate with a bobbin-less coil. It's probably a little more efficient that way since the steel plate helps direct the magnetic field.

Leo Fender did the same thing with the G&L pickups, except he made the steel plate into a U shape to direct the bottom pole up to the strings.
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                  www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                  X