Best recording amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best recording amp

What small wattage kit amp would make a good amp for recording?
    Going for vintage blues sound.
    Last edited by rymac; 11-02-2008, 03:24 AM.

Hands down the 5f1 Fender Champ clones are probably the most popular kit build for low wattage blues/rock recording amps.

But that means NOTHING. You should find the tone you want and build that. Because if the 5f1 doesn't inspire you, your expression and playing will suffer. And that doesn't sound good.

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

+1 for a little single ended 1W-5W champy thing.

Or a low powered push-pull amp with vol, tone and trem controls in the same power ballpark with maybe a pair of 6K6s at a low voltage pushing an old 10W alnico speaker or a celestion blue or something
      Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

For modern amps the Epiphone Galaxie 10 has a pretty slick design, with a single 6V6 and a single 12AX7. It has a TMB tone stack but for a more tweed-like sound I added a "Texas Tea" control that passes the tone stack with a 2M pot and a .001uf cap:

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/...galaxie_10.jpg

Just my 2 centavos...

Steve Ahola

P.S. I put a KT66 in mine which brings the power up to maybe 12 watts, I dunno... Cool little amp for small gigs!
        Attached Files
        The Blue Guitar
        www.blueguitar.org
        Some recordings:
        https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

"Best" is pretty subjective and depends upon your goals & taste.

I have a small battery of Fender vintage amps from a Vibro Champ up to a Pro Reverb and do occasional session recording. I like to get sweet Fender cleans on demand, and get a good distortion from pedals. The amp I use the most is the Vibro Champ. Put a good recording mic on it, set the volume around 4 or where ever is needed prior to any serious break up with the guitar and it will sound huge tonally on a recording. But that just suits my musical taste.

I have not tried the Tweed Champ. I'll bet is sounds awesome as well, especially if you're looking for pure class A grind.

Comment

I love my Lexicon Signature 284 for recording. If you are building from scratch, the schematic has most of the circuits you'd want for recording, so you can pick what you want and go for it. Stereo, great EQ section, cabinet sim, FX loop, balanced out, slave out, SE EL84. About the only thing it doesn't do exceptionally well is a clean Fender sound, but once the track is mixed there aren't too many apologies to be made.
            Attached Files
            Black sheep, black sheep, you got some wool?
            Ya, I do man. My back is full.

Comment

good idea

good ideas, we alawys want change our Gt5h into TMB. it is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                For modern amps the Epiphone Galaxie 10 has a pretty slick design, with a single 6V6 and a single 12AX7. It has a TMB tone stack but for a more tweed-like sound I added a "Texas Tea" control that passes the tone stack with a 2M pot and a .001uf cap:

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/...galaxie_10.jpg

Just my 2 centavos...

Steve Ahola

P.S. I put a KT66 in mine which brings the power up to maybe 12 watts, I dunno... Cool little amp for small gigs!
                I wonder if that 10uF cathode bypass cap on the second stage of G-10 is actually there... if so, it would just about defeat the NFB loop.
                Bruce

Mission Amps
                Denver, CO. 80022
                www.missionamps.com
                303-955-2412

Comment

Good catch Bruce. Here's the Gibson version of the same amp. Notice a second cap doing nothing (C11). Hmmm... What's really fishy is that when the Epiphone model was made someone caught that C11 wasn't doing anything but they left the loop and V1B bypass cap the same!?!

Chuck
                  Attached Files
                  "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                  You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

My go to amp would probably be a 5F2a Princeton with some mods in a Deluxe sized cab & a 12" speaker (Red Fang)

Comment

Working...
                    X