Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 36 to 52 of 52
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: "Item not as Described" Stories?

  1. #36
    Old Timer J M Fahey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    9,255
    Same thing as Visa/Mastercard "air miles?
    My Mother used to travel *a lot* (twice a year to USA, once a year to Europe, Japan, etc.) so she always paid *everything* by credit card, and was happy saying, for example: "I bought this fridge/dishwasher/kid clothes/whatever) at such and such place and already have 12000 miles available"

    2 problems:
    * for some unfathomable reason you ned, say, 18000 "paper" miles to make a, say, 6000 miles (both ways) trip.
    * I demonstrated her, calculator in hand, that not buying Credit Card associated stuff but paying cash instead (or even CC single full payment) where prices were lowest, no strings attached, she could save enough "real" money to pay cash for those plane tickets spending half as much.
    But try to convince a Woman with such puny arguments such as Logic or Math
    Doubly so if a Mother who, among many other good things she did for me: "I wiped your *ss when you were a baby and now YOU want to teach ME things?"
    Oh well
    bob p and g1 like this.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

  2. #37
    Senior Member Enzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    28,257
    Call them points then. You got points for every mile flown, so they came to be called air miles. So you need 18,000 points to get a free 6000 mile trip.

    But try to convince a Woman with such puny arguments such as Logic or Math
    If someone did not use reason to arrive at a conclusion, you cannot change their mind with reason.
    J M Fahey likes this.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

  3. #38
    Old Timer Leo_Gnardo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dogpatch-on-Hudson
    Posts
    4,344
    Quote Originally Posted by J M Fahey View Post
    for some unfathomable reason you ned, say, 18000 "paper" miles to make a, say, 6000 miles (both ways) trip.
    Credit card points generally count one penny a point. They might call it a "mile" but no matter. I buy all the stuff I need for the workshop as well as groceries etc. with the card. Accumulate 10,000 points and just have them deduct $100 from the balance, which I do my best to pay off completely every month. So it amounts to a 1% discount, whoop-de-doo!

    Airline/hotel miles work similarly except you can't "cash out." But you can spend your points on all sorts of stuff, if you have enough of them. I got free airline trips to my brother's first and second weddings that way. My coworkers on tour often bought themselves magazine subscriptions that didn't take too many points to purchase. If you don't use your points over the course of years, the airlines/hotels reduce your account to zero so spend 'em or lose 'em.

    If you can get a 6000 mile airline trip with 18000 points I'd have to call that a pretty good deal! Often there are additional cash fees but not a deal killer in my experience. Your mileage - as you well know - may vary.
    J M Fahey likes this.

  4. #39
    Better Tone thru Mathematics bob p's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chicago, USA
    Posts
    3,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
    Nah, they weren't melting the coins down for specie value. Coins had cash value just as a dollar bill or a check. Certainly a check has no intrinsic value, but it has cash value nonetheless.
    the fact that you use the word "specie" makes it hard to reconcile why you seem to be missing the point.

    back in the 1960s a silver dollar was not worth melting for specie value because the silver dollar had the intrinsic value of it's weight in silver and that value was recognized in commerce with price stability. today we have debased coins that lack any hard money content, and a coin with the same face value is worth a small fraction of it's claimed seigniorage derived from specie. in other words, our "dollar" today is a slug that doesn't have any intrinsic value, while the US Mint's Silver Eagle dollar coin is worth about $20 due to its specie value.

    In 1968 I could buy a gallon of gas for 25-cents, paying with a silver quarter. why? because the coin had intrinsic value and prices in the marketplace were low, reflecting the real value of hard money. today that silver coin is worth about 12x what a current 25-cent slug is worth. the 1968 coin's cash value will now bring $3.00. what a surprise -- a silver quarter will still buy a gallon of gas 50 years later, but the current US quarter won't even buy you a cup of coffee.

    there was no need to melt down a silver coin in the 1960s because the monetary system was backed by hard currency at the time and the coin would buy a lot of goods. that's not the case anymore.

    but that's still not the point. in the 1960s you could buy something useful with mail order by taping coins to the mail order form because coins had far more cash value then than they have today. today pocket change won't buy you much.
    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

  5. #40
    Senior Member Enzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    28,257
    Sorry bob, you have created a tangent that doesn't really follow from the question. Yes the buying power of a quarter was larger 60 years ago. But you are too focused on coins. Used to be you could tape MONEY to a piece of paper and mail it in. Coins, dollar bill. The fact they didn't have a melt down value was irrelevant. If the asking price was 89 cents, I could mail them something with a face value of 89 cents. If I sent them silver coins, fine, if I sent them new fangled cheap coins, they still SPEND as 89 cents. If I send them a dollar bill and say keep the change, that bill isn't "worth" nearly a dollar. And my personal check is good for the value written on it, but has an intrinsic value of zero.

    If I ordered 89 cents of stuff 60 years ago, OK so it would cost $8.90 today. I could back then tape money to a paper and mail it. Today I cannot tape $8.90 to a paper and mail it. THAT is the difference that makes it nostalgic.

    The reason no one takes cash money in the mail any more is not because coins no longer contain silver. it is because they don't have the facility to handle cash, and don't want it. You send them coins or dollar bills, and they have to have it around, bag it up and take it to the back and have it audited. And theft is a constant issue. If I send a check made out to PolyPaks, it does an employee little good to steal it. If I sent PolyPaks a dollar bill, it can easily find its way into a pocket.

    Here where I live, we have an office downstairs, I pay my rent there. I write a check. The office will not accept cash.

    I can order parts from Digikey by prepayment, and get shipping. I can send them a check, I can send a money order, I cannot send cash.
    J M Fahey likes this.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

  6. #41
    Better Tone thru Mathematics bob p's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chicago, USA
    Posts
    3,713
    The point is that 60 years ago, when we had hard currency, 89-cents could buy what you wanted. Today that's going to cost you 12x 89-cents because our dollar isn't a hard currency anymore. Nobody in his right mind would pay mail order using $10.68 in coins, but in the big scheme of things that's the same amount of real money today as 89-cents was then. my point of the discussion about coins was that once upon a time you could buy something useful for less than a dollar, but you can't do that today. i don't care about anyone's back office infrastructure or whether or not they can trust their employees not to steal a cash payment. that's their problem, not mine. the reality of the situation is that by law, someone cannot refuse a cash payment for a debt, in spite of what they may try to tell you.


    "This note is legal tender for all debt, public and private."
    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

  7. #42
    rjb
    rjb is offline
    Old Timer
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Somewhere near Bawlmer, Merlin
    Posts
    2,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
    Sorry bob, you have created a tangent that doesn't really follow from the question.
    This thread contains many tangents that don't really follow from the original question.
    I'm cool with that- it's just the nature of the beast around here.
    But what really has me a little peeved is the fact that nobody has submitted a reply containing the acronym "WTF".

    Quote Originally Posted by rjb View Post
    Do you have a story about buying a mail-order item that wasn't quite as described?
    Not necessarily a horror story- but something that made you say "WTF?"
    -rb

  8. #43
    Better Tone thru Mathematics bob p's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chicago, USA
    Posts
    3,713
    Quote Originally Posted by rjb View Post
    But what really has me a little peeved is that nobody has submitted a reply containing the acronym "WTF".



    -rb
    I didn't say "WTF" because nothing surprises me any more.
    rjb likes this.
    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

  9. #44
    Senior Member Enzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    28,257
    Nobody in his right mind would pay mail order using $10.68 in coins, but in the big scheme of things that's the same amount of real money today as 89-cents was then
    And no one would expect them to. What is being said is that no one would send in a ten dollar bill either. Don't focus on the coins, what is nostalgic is that no one sends in money any more. If you sent $20 to my shop for say a stomp switch, I would not be expecting a 20 dollar bill taped to your order. 60 years ago I WOULD have expected the cash equivalent in the envelope.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

  10. #45
    g1
    g1 is offline
    don't forget the joker g1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Canada, somewhere north of Fargo
    Posts
    8,858
    Quote Originally Posted by rjb View Post
    But what really has me a little peeved is the fact that nobody has submitted a reply containing the acronym "WTF".
    WTF was exactly what I was thinking when I found out the frozen food I was feeding my Angel Fish was in fact, dead "sea-monkeys".
    But back then, we said WOE! (what on earth).
    Certified Dotard

  11. #46
    rjb
    rjb is offline
    Old Timer
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Somewhere near Bawlmer, Merlin
    Posts
    2,145
    Quote Originally Posted by g1 View Post
    WTF was exactly what I was thinking...
    But back then, we said WOE! (what on earth).
    Back then, "WTF" would've gotten your mouth washed out with soap.

    -rb
    Last edited by rjb; 10-16-2017 at 02:14 AM.

  12. #47
    ToneOholic! big_teee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Mid-South USA
    Posts
    9,757
    I got shorted several pickup magnets, then I noticed the cable I ordered a long with it, looked a bit short?
    So I got the cable down on the floor in the shop, and measured it. (I know that is getting picky)
    Sure enough it was a couple of feet short.
    I SAID WHAT TO F?
    It was the principal of the thing that pisses you off the Most!
    T

    **BTW, I guess the phrase "F em All", isn't politically correct either?
    Technicians Run the World, but Bankers, Lawyers, and Accountants, Take All The Credit!
    Keep Rockin! B_T
    Terry

  13. #48
    Senior Member Enzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    28,257
    No, but I think it is OK to suggest to someone they go and have sex with themselves.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

  14. #49
    Old Timer olddawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Carlsbad, CA and Kona, HI
    Posts
    2,364
    Honestly folks.. I put everything I can on an American Airlines card and pay it off every month. I get at least one round trip flight to Hawaii a year off of it. I took out a Hawaiian Airlines Credit card last year too because they gave you 50,000 miles if you spent $1000 on it within 90 days. You have to know the rules to play the game but it has worked out great for me. A round trip to Hawaii is about 40,000 miles.
    J M Fahey and nsubulysses like this.

  15. #50
    rjb
    rjb is offline
    Old Timer
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Somewhere near Bawlmer, Merlin
    Posts
    2,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
    No, but I think it is OK to suggest to someone they go and have sex with themselves.
    Only if it's oral sex.
    df0nztkxgaainkm.jpg

  16. #51
    rjb
    rjb is offline
    Old Timer
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Somewhere near Bawlmer, Merlin
    Posts
    2,145

    Ah, WTF?

    Considering how far this thread has derailed, I may as well post this.
    File it under "items better than advertised"

    The Giant grocery chain carries a house discount brand called "Guaranteed VALUE."
    Their GV bacon is always cheaper than any other brand, even when the other brands are on sale.
    The orange and white package is labeled "IRREGULAR SLICES ENDS AND PIECES".
    But the box has both front and back windows (unlike many big-name brands) - so you can see what you are buying .
    I've found that the pieces are rarely irregular- but always meatier, with less fat, than the national brands.
    The last box I bought was a perfectly sliced slab of probably the tastiest "American style" bacon I've ever experienced.

    Musical content:


    -rb
    Last edited by rjb; 10-17-2017 at 09:20 PM.
    g1 and glebert like this.

  17. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    112
    Dang it rjb, now I'm hungry for bacon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-20-2014, 01:59 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-18-2013, 11:21 PM
  3. Replies: 47
    Last Post: 04-18-2013, 11:11 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-24-2011, 04:21 AM
  5. Peavey Delta Blues - No Sound - All Tubes Glow - Powered "On", Made a "Hum", and died
    By Renegade44 in forum Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Repair
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-15-2009, 06:24 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •