Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Tweed champ 5f2 pwr tranny swap

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    43
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

    Tweed champ 5f2 pwr tranny swap

    Original tranny smokes and blows fuse with all secondary leads disconnected. Bought new unit, all is good save for the heater filament on the new tranny (magnetic components 40-18019). It's center tapped. Should I tape n tuck the center tap away and ground one side of the heater winding? Silly question, I should know this, figured I'd ask anyway.
    Thanks in advance.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  2. #2
    Lifetime Member Enzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    29,860
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 66/1
    Given: 0/0
    No, ground the center tap, not one side.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

  3. #3
    Old Timer
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,652
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0
    I would scrap the old single wire heater scheme and rewire with the quieter twisted pair.If you are talking about a vintage 5f2 that you prefer to keep original,then yes,just disregard the CT and wire it like the original.Just saw Enzo's response,if he grounds the CT and uses just one side,he'll only get like 3+v's.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    43
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0
    Quote Originally Posted by stokes View Post
    I would scrap the old single wire heater scheme and rewire with the quieter twisted pair.If you are talking about a vintage 5f2 that you prefer to keep original,then yes,just disregard the CT and wire it like the original.Just saw Enzo's response,if he grounds the CT and uses just one side,he'll only get like 3+v's.
    So if I ground the center tap, I would need to lift the grounds on pin 2 on the 6v6 and pin 9 on the 12ax7, then do the twisted pair, correct?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    43
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0
    Quote Originally Posted by JMMP View Post
    So if I ground the center tap, I would need to lift the grounds on pin 2 on the 6v6 and pin 9 on the 12ax7, then do the twisted pair, correct?
    Also, doing the heaters this way, how do you guys handle the pilot lamp (grounded to the chassis through the mount)? Seems easier to add the 2 100 ohm resistors, leave the CT tucked away and not attached, and ground one end of the 6.3v filament tap. Thoughts?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  6. #6
    Supporting Member The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    5,035
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 13/0
    Given: 8/0
    FYI: The pilot lamp connections are isolated by fiber washers.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fla124.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	45963

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    43
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    FYI: The pilot lamp connections are isolated by fiber washers.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fla124.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	45963
    Not on this model, indicator is just another parallel filament connection, lamp body goes directly to chassis ground through mount.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  8. #8
    don't forget the joker g1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Canada, somewhere north of Fargo
    Posts
    9,827
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 49/0
    Given: 67/0
    Well, if you are not going to change the indicator, then you have to leave one side of the heaters grounded, no CT, no 100 ohm resistors.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Certified Dotard

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    43
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0
    Quote Originally Posted by JMMP View Post
    Not on this model, indicator is just another parallel filament connection, lamp body goes directly to chassis ground through mount.
    Correction, lamp is exactly as pictured there. One tab was rotated, bent and soldered to mount and I didn't look closely enough. Thanks for all the help!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  10. #10
    don't forget the joker g1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Canada, somewhere north of Fargo
    Posts
    9,827
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 49/0
    Given: 67/0
    Just to clarify about your question in post #5, you can't use the resistors and ground one side of the supply.
    You must choose only 1 of the three options:
    a) CT
    b) 100R resistors (virtual CT)
    c) One side of heaters grounded

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Certified Dotard

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    43
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0
    Quote Originally Posted by g1 View Post
    Just to clarify about your question in post #5, you can't use the resistors and ground one side of the supply.
    You must choose only 1 of the three options:
    a) CT
    b) 100R resistors (virtual CT)
    c) One side of heaters grounded
    Got it G1, thank you. Gonna ground one side of the supply.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    43
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0
    Quote Originally Posted by JMMP View Post
    Got it G1, thank you. Gonna ground one side of the supply.
    Worked out great, Champ is now working as it should!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Voltage Chart for the Tweed 5f2-a
    By marcbo77 in forum Debugging Your Build
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-04-2009, 09:15 AM
  2. Stock 5F2-A Power tranny values?
    By ncusack in forum Tweed Builders
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-01-2009, 08:53 PM
  3. Power Tranny Swap
    By ajeffcote in forum Mods & Tweaks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-16-2008, 06:38 AM
  4. More Pwr and Headroom for SF Champ
    By JPH in forum Mods & Tweaks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-11-2007, 10:24 PM
  5. More Pwr and Headroom for SF Champ
    By JPH in forum Mods & Tweaks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-11-2007, 02:55 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •