Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Anybody have a pattern for sewing an amp cover?

  1. #1
    Supporting Member Steve A.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,134

    Anybody have a pattern for sewing an amp cover?

    I realize that this is not one of the more macho topics, but at the local blues jams, practically everybody has an amp cover that looks like their wife sewed it up...

    It seems to me that there should be a pattern *somewhere* that shows you how to piece this together, based on the actual dimensions of the amp and the location of the handle. Something that shows you where you'd fold it over for seams, etc.

    I realize that an expert seamstress (seamster?) could whip this together in minutes, but I am not now, nor have I ever been a member of the Seamster's Union and I have no idea where Jimmy Hoffa is buried...

    If nothing else, maybe suggestions as to what type of fabric to use and how many yards would be required for a cover for, say, a typical 5E3 cabinet.

    Thanks!

    Steve Ahola

  2. #2
    Senior Member Regis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    521
    Hi Steve,

    This guy has a whole bunch of DIY articles on his webpage, here is one with details on how to make covers for your gear.

    I've built a number of things using tips from that guy, he has good information.

    Good luck,

    Regis

  3. #3
    Old Timer
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,442
    R.G. Keen has an article about making repro covers for old Vox amps on his site, that details how to measure and construct using vinyl materials. The basics are the same and could easily be used for making covers of any material or any size.

  4. #4
    Supporting Member Steve A.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Regis View Post
    Hi Steve,

    This guy has a whole bunch of DIY articles on his webpage, here is one with details on how to make covers for your gear.

    I've built a number of things using tips from that guy, he has good information.

    Good luck,

    Regis
    That article looks great so I snagged it for my site!

    http://www.blueguitar.org/new/misc/S...amp_covers.pdf

    So did anyone ever write Part 2, which would address the more complicated issues like openings for the handles? Just wondering...

    Thanks!

    Steve Ahola

  5. #5
    Senior Member Regis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    521
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve A. View Post
    That article looks great so I snagged it for my site!

    http://www.blueguitar.org/new/misc/S...amp_covers.pdf

    So did anyone ever write Part 2, which would address the more complicated issues like openings for the handles? Just wondering...

    Thanks!

    Steve Ahola
    I don't think he ever did the second part, Steve.

    regis

  6. #6
    Senior Member Casey4s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    North Port Florida
    Posts
    174
    I only attempted one amp cover. I want to a local fabric shop and found some Goretex that was lined with a coating of rubberized material. Big mistake there, the gortex without the rubber would have been fine, but the rubber stuff made this an absolute monster to sew.

    I made a layout (pattern) from paper first by just measuring and trial and error, and just worked at it with a borrowed 50+ year old basic Singer. You just have to sew it inside-out but I will never do this again, what a pain in the arse. Next time I'll find a seamstress or expierienced amature to do it and just pay them.

    This is the finished cover,


    This is the amp under cover,

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1
    You should just use these guys: www.bscovers.com. Their covers are great... rubber lined, like what you were talking about. They have many different models listed. But, if they don't, you can send them the dimensions and they'll make one to fit it!

  8. #8
    Supporting Member Steve A.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey4s View Post
    I only attempted one amp cover. I want to a local fabric shop and found some Goretex that was lined with a coating of rubberized material. Big mistake there, the gortex without the rubber would have been fine, but the rubber stuff made this an absolute monster to sew.

    I made a layout (pattern) from paper first by just measuring and trial and error, and just worked at it with a borrowed 50+ year old basic Singer. You just have to sew it inside-out but I will never do this again, what a pain in the arse. Next time I'll find a seamstress or expierienced amature to do it and just pay them.

    This is the finished cover,


    This is the amp under cover,
    I just LOVE your mauve chair! I hope that my boyfriend gets me one for Father's Day...

    Steve Ahola

  9. #9
    Senior Member Casey4s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    North Port Florida
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve A. View Post
    I just LOVE your mauve chair! I hope that my boyfriend gets me one for Father's Day...

    Steve Ahola
    That photo was at my brothers house, I was more excited about the "Putting green" carpet myself.

  10. #10
    Member sportster4eva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Seekonk, Ma.
    Posts
    98
    Casey,
    That's a pretty sweet looking amp. Did you build it? if so, can you tell me where you found the brass handle end pieces (brackets). I have been looking for a while now but no luck. Thanks
    Sometimes I'm good, then I'm bad..
    http://www.evacuatedelectronics.com

  11. #11
    Senior Member Casey4s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    North Port Florida
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by sportster4eva View Post
    Casey,
    That's a pretty sweet looking amp. Did you build it? if so, can you tell me where you found the brass handle end pieces (brackets). I have been looking for a while now but no luck. Thanks
    Yes I built that ampp from scratch there are some pics here:
    http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/f...&paginator=top

    It's a variation on the Fender BFPR.

    I brass plated those handle pieces myself with a little kit from AES. I have been plating amp hardware for years with this kit and it works great.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Sewing Machine Coil Winder?
    By tbryanh in forum Tools and Coil Winding Gear
    Replies: 99
    Last Post: 01-17-2011, 09:52 PM
  2. Aging a 57 Classic Cover
    By greg in forum Pickup Makers
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 08-17-2008, 01:02 AM
  3. Bullseye pattern on the Slug?
    By Edward R in forum Pickup Makers
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-03-2007, 10:27 PM
  4. Portable sewing machines as winders
    By Ruel in forum Pickup Makers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-16-2007, 11:29 PM
  5. Bobbin and cover material??
    By tusong200 in forum Pickup Makers
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-06-2006, 10:13 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •