Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hella1hella
    replied
    Yeah, I guess I will just have to suck it up and order the 4ohm speakers from Weber. Its an all original 65 Super Reverb so I do not really want to touch the transformers. Thanks for the help!

Leave a comment:

• pdf64
    replied
    A: Probably, though if you overdrive it, the tubes may degrade faster.
    B: It will sound different, in a similar way that a guitar will sound different when changing from neck to bridge pickup.
    C: A 2 ohm load would be a good idea. Alternatively, replace the output transformer to one suitable for a 4 ohm load; an output transformer would be cheaper than 2 speakers but require a higher degree of competence to fit (eg you could change the speakers yourself, but may need to pay a tech to swap the transformer).

Leave a comment:

• Hella1hella
    replied
    Sorry, I do not work on amps so I am not really sure what your response means. Any way you could dumb it down a little bit and more straight forward? Its hard finding speakers to use with this amp without using 4-10's, and is also not easy on the wallet. This is where my problem lies. Maybe I made the original post too complicated. I just need to know :
    A: Can I safely run a 65' super reverb with two 8 ohm speakers, Without long term effects.
    B: What will this do to the overall sound of the amp?
    C: Should I just suck it up and buy two 4 ohm 10's from weber?

Leave a comment:

• pdf64
    replied
    The 6L6 will be running a 8k p-p load in this condition. When I flip the impedance switch of my amp from 8 to 4 ohms on an 8 ohm speaker, the tone gets more 'harmonicy', less punchy (input quieted during switchover). Similar to flipping the pickup selector switch.
    Also the 6L6 screen grids will dissipate more power when overdriven. This could be mitigated by reducing the screen voltage, either by increasing the screen grid resistors or putting a resistor in series with the choke, say 1k 5 watt.

Leave a comment:

• Hella1hella
    started a topic Super reverb 4 ohm speaker load.

Super reverb 4 ohm speaker load.

Hello everyone, I have a super reverb that is currently in head form. I want to put it into a combo and I know it is a 2 ohm speaker load but here is my question. If I get two 8ohm 10's, that would equal out to 4 ohms. Can I safely run my amp like this?Will there be any long term effects? I have talked to numerous people that say it is okay to run a Super reverb at 4 ohms, and even people who prefer it. I really am only wondering this because I do not want a 4x10 setup, and the choice of speakers that leaves me is pretty slim because I would need two 4 ohm 10's which pretty much leaves weber and only weber. What would be the consequence of running it at 4 ohms? Just less power?

Thanks!
Working...
X