Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peavey Ultra 212 questions - mod or sell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips, Tweaks and Secretes for Tube Amp Hackers

"I have it in the back of my mind that this amp already has the most expensive components for putting together something that I would enjoy playing: speakers, cab, transformers, tubes, and a few other usable bits. I could probably even use the old chassis, with a new face plate for the new controls. It seems very doable."

Been there done that. Here are some of the issues you will deal with. Yes you have some good components.

Here is what for the most part won't work with an exception that I'll get to in the end. The tube sockets and any components mounted to the PC board are basically unusable due to the fact that, you will have to mount new tube sockets into the chassis. The other various electronic components will have short leads and unless you are experienced with component removal and clean up for salvage purposes it will be very frustrating to try to reuse most of the small parts. The pots will be questionable depending on the circuit design you settle on.

The exception to all of the above is when a tech has enough experience to be able to remove and reuse the parts on the PC board.

I've scrapped a couple amps and used various parts to build a couple of power amps. The process has worked well for me but I've also needed quite a bit of assistance and at times I've found people would encourage me to do something but then when it failed to work as suggested, the communication link went dead and I don't mean on the computer side. For the record that has not occurred on this forum.

If you decide to to do something like this believe me it is a substantial undertaking and I've got, as well as many other here, years of experience in the electronics trade so for myself there were far fewer challenges than for someone that may not know how to solder or identify components and make decent wire runs.

If it were me I would first borrow or come up with some pedals to try the power amp out with, by simply plugging into the Effects Return loop and see how it sounds with various emulators. Even an Amp Emulator box while solid state, would narrow down the search criteria. A good place to try this might be Guitar Center. You could bring the amp in and ask to try some pedals to plug in. For example some of the Bogner pedals or other tube amp emulators. While they won't be “Tube” circuits unless you specifically try one, it will give you an idea of what to expect and you won't have to Hack or spend money either to find out.

The power amp circuit is straight forward and it shouldn't be too complicated to cut the existing ties and remove the preamp circuit, rewire the power supply to the power amp and then you'd have a power amp up and running. I see also you are interested in determing some design criteria regarding the output transformer. Why? The power amp circuit used in this amp will work perfectly fine as is.

From there I would suggest finding a circuit like the Fender Band Master preamp and get some assistance with layout for what is known as a "Turret Board". Here is one source: FENDER BOARD PHOTOS Photos of several of our Fender board builds. Turret boards are very straight forward and easy to answer questions regarding debugging if something goes wrong. It may be great for droping into the existing chassis and then wiring the pots and other components to.

Be advised of this important detail. The voltages inside a tube amp are sufficient to kill you. If you don't have experience with circuits like this and soldering, be ready to take things slowly and seek plenty of advice from others along the way. There are many here that would be happy to help. Also secure some team members ahead of time so you know there will be follow through till the end.

There are several benefits to undertaking a project like this. In an age of limited employment opportunities this adds skills if you haven't already done work like this. While it can be frustrating it is very gratifying in the end to have a successful project completed.

There are lots of ways to do this. This is just one suggested path to the realm of Tube Amp Nirvana,

Silverfox.

Comment

The exception to all of the above is when a tech has enough experience to be able to remove and reuse the parts on the PC board.
      I have to say, any tech worth his salt is not pulling resistors out of circuit boards for reuse. OK, if I needed some part RIGHT THIS SECOND and had none in the drawer, I might get it from an old board. But resistors cost a penny, and my labor costs considerably more than that.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I think the first move should be a speaker swap. I don't like v30's, and they really do not sound good for this amp. The v30's may be the biggest part of the ugly clean. Connecting directly to the return, with or without the od pedal, I'm not liking what I'm hearing. Hell, the stock speakers may have been fine in this amp.
        Last edited by mushy; 05-18-2014, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Time for New and a Time for Used

That is exactly what I had to do as I didn't have the funny resistor value at the time to complete the circuit. And, how about those $10. solid state optical switches Peavey uses to switch channels? Then of course there are things like Reverb transformers and tank circuits but yes, most of the parts are not worth messing with if you have a shop. On the other hand, for a hobbyist on a budget it provides lots of cheap parts to work with when experimenting. I wouldn't suggest using some of the cheaper parts on a customer amp- If I worked on other people's amps. The suggestion is made in the context of the conversation. Aspiring hobbyist. Thanks for the embelishments on the Hot Dog,

Silverfox.

Comment

I have a Ultra Tube 212 here now, and channel 2 will not switch on. I then realized after investigating, that this channel can only be activated with the footswitch... correct? Maybe I'm wrong.

Then, I realized this footswitch must not be the correct one, as it says LEAD/ULTRA - CLEAN/BYPASS - and FX. I thought maybe it's fine and just labeled wrong, but nope, the relays for the CRUNCH/ULTRA channels leads to a wire inside the footswitch that was never connected it seems. I connected it and now the channels switch. The main issue now is that the ULTRA cannot be turned on from CLEAN. If the CLEAN is on, when disengaged, the ULTRA does not activate (the LED does go on though). The only way to active ULTRA is by first engaging LEAD (which is actually CRUNCH). Finally, the CHANNEL switch on the front panel has to be depressed for the footswitch to work correctly. I also got the manual thinking it may shed some light, but it doesn't

I'm trying to figure out how to rewire this pedal, but cannot find a schematic for the footswitch itself. I'm mainly confused about where pins 1/2 are supposed to go inside the footswitch - from the 7-pin jack on the back. I'm thinking that if that's wired correctly maybe the channel switching issue will resolve itself.

http://new.poblizo.com/downloadsm/63...20&%20212.html

Comment

Might this help?

Redplate City: Peavey Footswitch Conversion--Triumph to Ultra
              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Please realize that the amp is not just three channels to switch between. You have CLEAN and CRUNCH/ULTRA. Once you are in the overdrive channel, you can select between Crunch or Ultra. But if it is sitting in Crunch while you play on clean, stomping the Clean switch switch won;t put you into Ultra. So when you go back to clean, it all matters what dirt channel you were in when you left, that is what will still be there when you return. It is a two-button stomp to go from Clean to the "other" dirt.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

And some more Peavey footswitch info
                  Attached Files
                  Originally posted by Enzo
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Thanks guys yes that info helps a lot.

Enzo yes I see that. There are two channels really, but the OD channel has two modes. It still doesn't seem right that if the Ultra is selected, but I'm on Clean, that when I leave Clean, the Ultra doesn't engage. It's only if I "leave" the Clean channel to Crunch directly, that it actually works. Only THEN, can I switch to Ultra.

Comment

Uh, man, ummm... thanks for that link Dude: This image did it: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-SdQcTkuHSm...+60,120+fs.jpg

Comment

Here's a pic of the final wiring for reference. The switches in order are: Reverb - Clean/Bypass - Ultra/Crunch
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X