Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My latest project - Aussies take note, and thanks to everyone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My latest project - Aussies take note, and thanks to everyone.

I just wanted to tell you guys about my latest build. It is a conversion of my first ever build, which I built from scratch using Grant Wills' Lamington design. This design was aimed at the Australian market where buying the iron components can be really tricky. The design uses two 30v transformers is series and a voltage quadrupler for the B+ And a 100v line transformer for OPT.

Without any real experience I built the Lamington using nothing more than a circuit diagram to guide me. Looking back at it recently I realised that the construction was somewhat suboptimal and potentially dangerous. I always found the sound to be a little harsh. The build is documented elsewhere on this forum.

So I kept the chassis (ikea ss roasting pan) PT arrangements and quadrupler and OPT and ripped everything else out. I then rebuilt it as a Tiny Terror using the circuit diagram from that really long thread on this site. I have plugged it into an Eminar 2x12 (plessey 12PX iirc).

I haven't ever played through 'shop bought' valve amps at anything above loud conversation level so don't have a personal reference, but I love the sound of this amp. A little crackle on one of the pots (they were NOS 1M dual that I put a 1M resistor across) which would probably be sorted with a squirt.

The incremental cost of this conversion is probably around $20 for some new filter caps and a handful of R&C. But the ability to put my learning from this website over the last few years into action has been invaluable: I have mitigated a potential source of hazard, improved the heater wiring no end and got a much better sound than I had before. No pics at the moment.

Big thanks to everyone on this forum. You have bewildered, amused, entertained and most importantly educated me. I know I've been educated because I forget a lot of what I've been taught.
    Cheers
    Jeff
    It's not microphonic - it's undocumented reverb.
Working...
X