Best Home practice Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Home practice Amp

I currently have 2 guitars and want to get back into playing after a very long layoff.. I currently have my original 1967 Fender telecaster which I purchased when I was a kid and just recently picked-up a 2016 Les Paul Standard. My question is this.... I want a home practice amp appropriate for these two guitars not having to play very loud (trying to keep my close neighbors happy) but want to get the best full sound effects from the guitars as well as the amp controls at a lower volume. I am partial to the 70's type music (led Zepplin-Jimi-Cream-..etc.) I was considering the Marshall DSL15C. I am opened to other options. Any input would be much appreciated

Nothing wrong with the DSL15C, although pretty expensive. I have a Vox AD30VT at home that I use for learning tunes. I like it quite well and they can be had much cheaper than the Marshall. It's not a tube amp, but IMO, you're not going to get the "tube effect" at low volumes anyway and the Vox has some good amp models. Of course there are plenty of other options out there. This is just one based on my own personal experience.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

You got a music store in your area? Go audition some amps. You might find something you really like, but is not on your radar now. Peavey Bandit has been a very popular amp for a long time. Ther are lots of interesting amps.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I had a friend who was in a similar situation. He ended up going with a Boss Katana (50 watt combo I think) and it worked out really well for him. A variety of sounds and effects and very easy to dial in sounds.

Comment

Lyle, a skilled amp tech with a small Youtube following (Psionic Audio), just did an amp roundup under $500 and chose the Marshall DSL40C, so I think either Marshall could be a good choice if you could find them used on your local Clist at that price (shipping is killer for amps.!) He also like the Vox AC15. Good luck!

Comment

What these guys said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And I'll add that since you're not going to get the "tube effect" at low volumes anyway (thanks Dude) you'll be using dirt box pedals. But no expensive boutique-y stuff. Use the same pedals the guys in the 70's used. At that point any amp with a good clean sound will get it done. That puts a lot of small tube amps in the roster if you want tubes. 2xel84 amps by the big manufacturers have been very popular for a long time now so there should be plenty on the used market. No reason to pony up for a new one unless you want some kind of "product support". Though that sort of thing is notoriously lacking and even worse since 2020. OTOH if you want the most bang for your buck you could go digital as already suggested above. Lots of guys are leaving their expensive tube amps at home now in favor of the versatility offered by modeling amps. You'll probably be able to save on those stomp boxes and they can approximate the tone of many amps. Enzo's suggestion of auditioning some at the store is a good one. I think you'll be surprised how many affordable amps will actually be good for home practice anymore.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
            X