No announcement yet.

Famous guitar amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's an earlier shot of it with it's famous control apparatus.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dww1.png
Views:	331
Size:	508.4 KB
ID:	966560
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
      Here's an earlier shot of it with it's famous control apparatus.

Name:	dww1.png
Views:	331
Size:	508.4 KB
ID:	966560
      Ahhh, NY
      If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is...
      I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Comment

I've never been a fan of Randy's "tone" but I looked into this amp anyway when I saw your post. I guess Randy actually solicited Marshall and they made that amp for him with the cascade modification and white Tolex. So it was a factory special order. Marshall had to get their hands on it and contact the original employee that did the mod to make sure they got it right for their 2008 Randy Rhodes "signature" model.
        I'm seeing aluminum dust caps, not stock Marshall speakers?

Comment

Originally posted by galaxiex View Post

Ahhh, NY
          Yep. Only one part of a rig that included other amps and switching systems but his Deluxe is most infamous to tone seekers.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Originally posted by mozz View Post

I'm seeing aluminum dust caps, not stock Marshall speakers?
            You know, it didn't even register when I looked at the photo. But sure enough I see what has to be aluminum dust caps. If those are Celestion speakers in the cabinets then they're re coned and/or modified. But I'm thinking JBL? I think the dust covers may be smaller than the JBL's though it could be a trick of the light. Maybe Altec?

Comment

I just looked it up and it's reported that Randy used Marshall cabs loaded with Altec 417-8H speakers.

Comment

I've never been a fan of Randy's "tone"
                Me neither. To me his sound was like an amp about to break. And some people love it. But I think it's kind of harsh. And as iconic and revered as he is, relatively few Marshall people obsess over his tone like they do for EVH or Slash or Hendrix or any number of other guitar legends. Randy truly was more about the playing and phrasing and note selection.

Comment

I just looked it up and it's reported that Randy used Marshall cabs loaded with Altec 417-8H speakers.
                  Yup, Altec Lansings are one of the "secrets" to Randy's sound.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                    Since Marshall's came up, can't omit this one. Not the first brand I think of for the 'ultimate bass tone', but sure worked for Mr. Kilmister.

Name:	murder-one.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	966554
                    I got to see a Motorhead soundcheck near the end of their run and got to hear that bass rig all by itself. It sounds exactly as you would expect - very loud and very aggressive. It sounds more like a guitar amp than a bass amp.

Comment

Also, Jimmy Page's Supro is almost legendary - an interesting article here:

https://www.guitarplayer.com/gear/th...-sundragon-amp

Comment

galaxiex got it in post #32. No one had to say "Deluxe" or Whizzer" for it to be obvious after that. NY didn't stand for New York in that post

Comment

Amps used by Jimi Hendrix.

I ran across this link on the Metropoulos Forum. Link: https://forum.metropoulos.net/viewto...it=PRS#p441083

He talks about mods that were done to Jimi's amps back in the day. Interesting that he had at least some amps converted to 6550s along with some cap tweeks.

There is another thread that discusses an offering by PRS. Link: https://forum.metropoulos.net/viewto...476460#p476460

Link to PRS website: https://prsguitars.com/amplifier/hdrx_100_2022 but those amps use EL34s.

WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                          REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

I once repaired Rick Nielsen's Rivera modded Fender Deluxe- the one used in the "Live at Budokan" era. That was a pretty unique amp. There's a story that goes with the experience, but I best not tell it.

Comment

I've never been a fan of Randy's "tone" but I looked into this amp anyway when I saw your post. I guess Randy actually solicited Marshall and they made that amp for him with the cascade modification and white Tolex. mobdro 2022

Comment

Nice - I didn't even see this before posting that Neil Young Deluxe thread in the 5e3 section.

I think "One love" is pretty iconic. Most guitar players know about it. I friggin' love Keef's tone, particularly his live tone these days - but that's Tweed Twins with custom Celestions, not something I'm going to be playing in my living room (even if I could figure out what the speaker specs were). Honestly what I've read about "One Love" is that he mostly slaves it - so I think that means he's running the preamp of something else and using it for just a PA (makes sense for a Tweed Champ, that's about all they are, and how I suggest people use them). Also a (modest) champ is a cheap way to run stereo at home. Sounds great but I thought it was hard to record. In room tone is very full and 3D though.

Personally I think EC's Cream JTM45 was iconic. He always trashes it these days and of course Hendrix blew him out of the water with the Marshall tone. But to me, the earlier ES335 + JTM tone started all of that. Clapton truly was "God" at that time.
                                Last edited by Mike K; 05-05-2023, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X