Verberator II prototype status report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verberator II prototype status report

Some of you will probably recall that I started talking about a "Verberator II" design I had in mind a long time ago (maybe even 2 years?). Well I've finally nailed down the power section (supply & amp) pretty firmly, so it seems like a good time to post an updated schematic...

I don't know how this new-fangled board handles links yet, so here's the URL: http://www.harmonicappliances.com/ve.../v2_rev_a4.pdf

Like I said, I consider the power section (page 2) to be pretty firmly nailed down, so if anyone thinks there's anything stupid or dangerous there I'd sure like to hear about it! Voltages shown on page 2 are accurate, but page 1 may be a little out of date...

The split inputs to the PI (preamp vs. reverb) had me confused about the NFB for a long time, but now it's doing exactly what I wanted. But from what I've heard so far the final Verberator II design will probably end up with an ON-OFF-ON (some-none-lots) switch like the original Verberator.

Right now the clean channel and reverb are just about perfect (IMHO). Unfortunately, I've discovered that I have to change the preamp so that both stages of the gain channel are in the same bottle. Right now V2Ableeds way too much signal into V2B, so I'm going to be swapping V1B & V2B, which will require some re-tweaking of the triode after the tone stack. Two stages of 12AT7 should still give me plenty of gain.

The gain channel Tone control does pretty much what I want (and is definitely useful), but has a wierd discontinuity (almost a wrap-around effect) at the 3 o'clock point...

The Center control in the stack gives it a little more flexibility that your usual Bax/James. A tip o' the hat to Bali Jukka for helping me think about it (and the NFB!).

The reverb sounds great, but it actually has a little too much gain, presumably on the recovery side - it starts to feed back well before maxing out either the Dwell or Mix (Reverb) controls.

The tremolo is starting to feel like way too much of a hassle. I've spent a fair amount of time trying to tweak it into shape, but haven't even gotten close to anything I find acceptable. Any thoughts?
    Murky Mark, Minister of Musical Mischief
    http://www.harmonicappliances.com/

Working...
X