Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amps question

So I have a fender hot rod deluxe 1997.

I love the sound, but I always have fender amp, so I don't really know any better,
    So here what I been thinking or kinda like to do.

I been listening to Phil x demo the famous tonemaster (magnatone) and wow, I love that sound, not the clean tone, I love to dirty tone. Brown? Gain? Whatever, I don't know much to tell u what it call.

But the point is, when he play some zeppelin, and it sound like it.

Anyway, I want that sound, now may be I can change my settings on my hrd to get that sound?

Or is it in the tubes? Or is in the circuit? I heard the magnaclone and sound like it, so I was gonna build one, but then I was thinking can I do something make my fender produce the same tone? Cuz I m fine with the clean tone, just I really like to have that overdrive tone from tonemaster.

So anyone can tell me, if I need to build a new amp, with magnatone specs and tubes or can I change the tubes on fender amp an get that sound? Or even a settings for fender hrd to get the same sound???

Sorry I don't know enough about amps,

Here's what I running
    2000 fender USA standard with Texas special pu
    1997 fender USA hrd

I'd start by getting the same speaker, handmade such that it is.

Comment

If you want a maggie clone, don't waste your time trying to tweak the hotrod. Its a different animal altogether. If you don't like the hot rod anymore, just flick it.
      Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Bin dare, dun dat.
        So you want "the tone"?
        Don't we all?
        The Phil X tone comes from a vintage amp that was expertly serviced. I played through a 440 that was serviced properly and heads unusually turned due to the tone. You're looking at close to a G to get that tone from a vintage Magnatone.

The main player problem with the vintage gear is the gear's road worthiness. The tone hound bourgeouisie travels with a top quality road case for their vintage amp.

Comment

Have you simply tried using a boost pedal like a Tube Screamer or a Bad Monkey.

Comment

Phil X is a very experienced guitar player, with a flair for flamboyant demos, who can make *any* amp sound very good ... that's why they hire him to record those videos
            Don't think that plugging into his amp you will get the same sound as him; much less modding a *very* different amp.
            Maybe selling your HRD and getting a Magnatone clone helps, maybe not, but you'll have to fullfill your side of the deal, by practicing a lot.
            And congratulations, at least now you know what you want, practice makes perfect.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
            X