Vibrolux Reverb build - AA964

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibrolux Reverb build - AA964

Hi all, long time lurker and first post. I'm Howard from Essex, UK.

I'm not an experienced amp builder, having built just a single 5E3 before this Vibrolux project. I'm having an issue getting to Photobucket at present but I'll post pics of the 5E3 build if anyone is interested. I'm a long time regular poster on the Heritage Owners' Club forum and the 5E3 build was detailed there.

Anyway, to the point: my PTP build is to be based on the AA964/AA864 layout but I can't find a decent, modern layout diagram on the web. I'm looking for something like the Weber layouts, e.g.

If there is no better layout available, I'd be happy to use the Weber 6A40 as a basis for my build. I know the 6A40 is more Super Reverb oriented but aside from the transformer differences, are there many other areas I'd need to take into account?

Be gentle with me

Thanks,

H

Here's a link to the AA964:

http://www.el34world.com/charts/Sche...a964_schem.pdf
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Thanks loudthud, I've seen many copies of this and all are illegible at various places. For instance, can you tell what value the cap on the bass pot should be on the layout?

Weber, Tube Amp Doctor and others produce their own layouts - I just wondered whether the Weber 6A40 layout was close enough to the AA964 with a few minor component value changes. It seems to be very close but maybe I'm missing something.

Comment

you mean the resistor. if you're not sure, look at the schematic. it says clearly, 6800

Comment

Originally posted by frus View Post
          you mean the resistor. if you're not sure, look at the schematic. it says clearly, 6800
          Yes, apologies - I was going from memory on the cap/resistor issue.

However, the point I was making remains: the Fender AA964 layout/schematic is a very old document which has been repeatedly copied to the point where certain things are difficult to read on either of them.

Have you seen a modern version of either document such as the Weber 6A40 layout I posted?

Comment

What is the problem with the Weber layout? The mid cap values are different but there's likely another Weber model with the right values, if that's all it is.
            Every BF Fender with reverb is pretty much the same, in terms of layout?
            Pete
            My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Hi Pete, thanks for getting involved The 'problem' is what I'm trying to establish

I can only see minor differences when I compare the AA964 layout with the 6A40 layout, it amounts to a few component value changes as far as I can tell. Those items plus the differences in the transformers seem to be all I need to rework.

I just wanted someone with experience of this - or a better eye than mine - to point out anything I may have missed.

Thanks,

H

Comment

Just a thought.
                Would you not be better off consulting the actual schematic diagram?
                Layouts are o/k for, well, laying an amp out.
                The schematic is the 'Bible'.

Comment

Yes, and I will, in conjunction with the layout

Comment

Working...
                  X