No announcement yet.

DR: OT @ 2 Ohms/ 10" spkr Q.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You mention that the attenuator IS making the amp quieter. Well, anything messing with the load is going to take some of it from the speaker, making the amp quieter. The amp should NOT be too loud at max attenuation. If it is then the attenuator isn't working properly. This might also explain the extreme treble loss. Because I haven't noticed this with the units I've made. A little, maybe, but not worth mentioning. If you can raise your voice to talk with someone in another room, you should be able to crank your DR into this attenuator. And I'll state this again... If the attenuator is wired incorrectly it could damage an amp. Somehow you have managed to ignore that I've said all this already. And if you didn't ignore it, then you decided it was ok to proceed as if nothing is wrong even though it clearly is. And if you didn't do that, then you have assumed I am full of shit and don't know how my attenuator design works. In any of these three scenarios you are complicating matters for yourself and everyone else. And this is why I believe your SG isn't working properly. You often behave like a dysfunctional mess. How can you be trusted, or even trust yourself to assess anything objectively?
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
      You mention that the attenuator IS making the amp quieter. Well, anything messing with the load is going to take some of it from the speaker, making the amp quieter. The amp should NOT be too loud at max attenuation. If it is then the attenuator isn't working properly. This might also explain the extreme treble loss. Because I haven't noticed this with the units I've made. A little, maybe, but not worth mentioning. If you can raise your voice to talk with someone in another room, you should be able to crank your DR into this attenuator. And I'll state this again... If the attenuator is wired incorrectly it could damage an amp. Somehow you have managed to ignore that I've said all this already. And if you didn't ignore it, then you decided it was ok to proceed as if nothing is wrong even though it clearly is. And if you didn't do that, then you have assumed I am full of shit and don't know how my attenuator design works. In any of these three scenarios you are complicating matters for yourself and everyone else. And this is why I believe your SG isn't working properly. You often behave like a dysfunctional mess. How can you be trusted, or even trust yourself to assess anything objectively?
      Charming.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
        The amp should NOT be too loud at max attenuation. If it is then the attenuator isn't working properly. This might also explain the extreme treble loss.
        Perhaps the Chief has the jack plugs reversed? The sockets are on the same end of the box.

Comment

No, I made sure of the wiring (its very very simple, but even so Ive checked 4 or 5 times) and marked the jacks. I checked these 4 or 5 times too. The only possibility of error is in the viewing of the pot (I asked/ checked this here which concurred with www info).. or the switch, which has 6 terminals as youd expect from a dpdt, numbered as I mentioned. The only possibility is whether dpdt switches with 6 terminals do not have a common layout re their 6 numbers. I cannot get an answer to this, so I have to assume they -are- common in the positions they are, which are same as the layout diagram.

It works exactly as it should Im quite sure of this. At max rotation clockwise it makes no difference, & at max anticlockwise it lowers the volume quite a bit & fine for the Champ, but not enough for the DR to even hear any OD at normal volume.

Comment

Then it is absolutely NOT "working exactly as it should".
            Why are you refusing to believe this?
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
              Then it is absolutely NOT "working exactly as it should".
              Why are you refusing to believe this?
              So.. tell me which part in what I said makes you think its not working as it should then??

You just wrongly assume I've wired it up wrong, like you wrongly assume my SG is fkd in need of repair when its not & its exactly as its meant to be.

Comment

I almost posted on this thread many times but refrained.

Somehow I knew this would make 100 posts with no resolution......

I'll leave the thread again.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post
                  So.. tell me which part in what I said makes you think its not working as it should then??
                  If you haven't put a meter on the switch and verified that the switch poles match your diagram, then you simply can't assume that it is wired up correctly. As we say here in the states, "ya gotta do the math". I suggested that the attenuator needs to be looked at back in post #76
                  If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                  If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                  We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                  MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post
                    Charming.
                    Sorry Chief. I just became frustrated. You're a frustrating person. With a broken SG and attenuator.
                    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

• Everyone who's trying to help is awesome though

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                        Sorry Chief. I just became frustrated. You're a frustrating person. With a broken SG and attenuator.

I am a frustrat-ed person. The attenuator works great on the Champ. It seems it aint no use for the DR Chuck. Unless it IS wrongly wired, or the switch..

I have asked about the switch on here, but no replies. How am I meant to "verify that the switch poles match your diagram".. when there are NO indicators on the diagram's terminals! ffs g1! I can do one thing: assume a dpdt 6 terminals' layout ARE standard across those that are sold. I have NO alternative but wire it up EXACTLY as the diagram & assume the terminals are the same.

It works, which implies they ARE the same/ dpdt switches do have a common terminal layout (www info I trawled thru shows so too: 1&4 top row, 2&5 middle etc). If it did NOT work, then that could be the only likely reason so simple a circuit it is & how thoughrally its been checked.

So again I ask: do dpdt switches have a common layout so I can wire mine as per the diagram?

Or: How can I correlate the numbers on my dpdt switch terminals to a diagram without numbered terminals?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post
                          So again I ask: do dpdt switches have a common layout so I can wire mine as per the diagram?

Or: How can I correlate the numbers on my dpdt switch terminals to a diagram without numbered terminals?
                          All the dpdt toggle switches I have are the same. With the toggle up the bottom two contacts are shorted. With the toggle down the top two contacts are shorted.

Forget about the numbers just wire it like the right hand diagram in post #71

Are you trying to be really quiet? With the 1R resistor in the attenuator the DR will be attenuated to about 0.35W which will be about half as loud as an unattenuated Champ (assuming 1/10 power is half as loud). Try shorting the 1R. I wouldn't expect it to sound great with that much attenuation.

102 and counting

Comment

• Right thanks Dave H. That confirms I have all wired up ok. But, I'll add a dslr photo in due course (with luck) so you can all laugh & point out all the wiring mistakes.

102 sure. I was going to re-start a new thread once I'd decided on building the attenuator. So 2 or 3 avenues of one thread.. but I guess that's a bit complicated for some of the apparant 'tee-hee' children on here to take on board.

Comment

• Chuck, like my SG I really dont think its broken.

Comment

• Part of the loss of highs you experience at attenuation is likely due to your ears. Look up Fletcher-Munson curves. The lower the volume, the more your hearing is limited to mid-frequencies.
                                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                                X