KT 88 project request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KT 88 project request

Hello. Looking for a tested power amp schematic using 4 kt88 .hammond 278cx and 1650t into ultralinear mode. Could this stage be full driven from a 12at7 ltp please? For a kt88 a max 100k leak bias resistor is requested.How convenient is
    from a 12at7 perspective. to use a 47k for a pair? I.m not familiar with this type of ul circuit.it will be used for bass gt aplication. Can someone to help me please? Thanks. Catalin
    Last edited by catalin gramada; 05-05-2016, 03:07 PM.
    "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

http://bmamps.com/Schematics/Sunn/Sunn_Sentura_2.pdf

Try that.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Do you know if is enough room inside 278cx over the isolation to do some turns for an other 6.3v secondary for preamp heaters.please ? I think the 6A sec. will not drop so much under 4 kt88 filaments...maybe a litle more heat but think still far safe for a hammond PT... Also I intend to use another small tranny for bias circuit conected directly to the main plug with no switch in between and 'shuntable' limiter current resistors in primary side of 278 like soft start circuit. What do you think...? Thanks. Catalin
      Last edited by catalin gramada; 05-12-2016, 08:53 PM.
      "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

Hallo .what to expect from a pair of kt88-90 driving a hammond 1650R . 5k Raa at 550v in UL mode please? Can it deliver 100w into a 8 ohm load .please? I am very restricted by hammond choices. Thanks. Catalin
        Last edited by catalin gramada; 05-30-2016, 11:35 AM.

Comment

I would think yes.

With a very hefty grid signal.

With the disclaimer of about 2.5% total harmonic distortion.

Comment

Thank you. Thinking to drive it from 12au7 at 400v or so. Looks pretty classic
            Transformers was ordered. Hammond 278cx 400-0-400v. 1650R 5K Raa. 159v choke 1.5H/0.5A and 4pc. 500u/500v
            Last edited by catalin gramada; 06-02-2016, 05:19 AM.

Comment

As I have to wound the tranny for bias circuit have to ask to experts if it worth the effort to wound one more sec. for a fixed bias supply for drivers instead cathode bias.to take as benefit full driving capacity from 12au7 .please?
              Last edited by catalin gramada; 06-03-2016, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by catalin gramada View Post
                Thank you. Thinking to drive it from 12au7 at 400v or so. Looks pretty classic
                Transformers was ordered. Hammond 278cx 400-0-400v. 1650R 5K Raa. 159v choke 1.5H/0.5A and 4pc. 500u/500v
                Won't the 400-0-400, run thru a full wave rectifier, generate 560-600v, depending on the AC primary?
                I would think your 500/500u 500v Caps would have a short life?
                Unless you are wiring them series? I may have missed that part?
                T
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

I intend to use it in series bateries two by two half ac ripple voltage on each don.t think so much stress on it
                  Last edited by catalin gramada; 06-03-2016, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by catalin gramada View Post
                    what to expect from a pair of kt88-90 driving a hammond 1650R . 5k Raa at 550v in UL mode please? Can it deliver 100w into a 8 ohm load .please?
                    I got about 80 watts at the onset of overdrive, using JJ.
                    Yes it's a little disappointing not to get the magic 100, but it's a monstrous sound and I don't think anyone will feel short changed.
                    My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Thanks. I want to add a litlle bit complexity using a fixed bias circuit vs cathode bias instead for a pair of 12au7 drivers. Balance trim pot of course to take all benefit. I.m not familiar with fixed bias mode for triode. Do you see any incovenience.please? Thank you.Catalin

Comment

Allright. This is the plan...Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-06-08 23.14.38.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	351.3 KB
ID:	842152
                        Last edited by catalin gramada; 06-08-2016, 07:57 PM.

Comment

and a update: separate negative bias power supply.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-06-11 15.32.44.jpg
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	842166

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-06-11 15.34.26.jpg
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	842167

Comment

Hello. How should I run the input wires for an UL transformer.please? Anode wires twisted in a pair then ul taps twisted in another and b+ separate it is good enough.please,?thanks.

Comment

Twisted pairs on the OT can help shield and stop oscillation in the primary and secondary, especially if they are longer. I run the B+ close to a ground plane (chassis) and of course keep the primary/secondary far apart.
                              Any noise experienced when using a chop stick to adjust leads during initial testing might respond to winding (or unwinding I suppose) the OT leads, so keep an open mind!
                              PS Don't forget the bleeding/balancing resistors on your series caps, 220k being an oft used value.

Comment

Working...
                              X