Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drilling brass plate for fender-like deluxe build rework

Hi All,
    Finally scrounged up a small drill press. Id like to rework the brass plate that I botched on a Deluxe Reverb build. Having some difficulty figuring out how to drill the pot holes in the right spot. I think if I drill it first, then have someone with a brake bend the plate, the holes probably won't line up. And if I get the plate bent first, and mark the holes with a sharp scribe, it will be a real challenge to clamp down into the drill press due to that odd angle. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    MP
    The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

I personally don't think it's worth the trouble.
    A ground bus wire soldered to pot cases a la Marshall will work the same.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Thanks Helmholtz. That's what I have working (mostly) now, wasn't sure if it was 'the best way to go". I have a bus wire, its not soldered to the back of the pots, bit is connected to the turrets. Should I leave the plate installed and ground it separetely, e.g. wire from the plate, soldered to the chassis someplace?
      The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

With the bus wire connected to pot cases, a plate is not necessary.
        Ground wires connecting to the plate should be soldered to the bus wire instead.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

And I'll add...

If your bus wire is currently "connected to the turrets" the I have to assume these are two grounded turrets on the board? You should only be grounded on one end to avoid ground loops, noise or potential instability. Preferably the input end of the board and only use the bus for the preamp circuits.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"Being born on third base and thinking that you must have hit a triple is pure delusion!" Steve A

Comment

The brass plate was there in the first place to be easier to solder to than the chassis. If you use something else to solder to, like a buss wire, then the brass plate serves no purpose.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I gather you don't have a Whitney XX Punch set. I never had the funds for a bench-mounted long-lever punch with their more-expensive punch & dies, but the XX punch I have has a deep throat, (and I have punch/dies from 1/16" thru 1/2") allowing me to punch all those thin brass plates that begin in the flat pattern,

Years ago, I invested in layout tools (calipers, small adjustable machinists squares & combination squares with blades out to 24". So after careful measuring of the hole locations onto a drawing, I'd then do the layout with a scribe and measurement tools to mark up the brass plate with scribe lines for punching the holes and bending. Granted, I haven't tackled a full width brass grounding plate as used in the earlier Fender chassis, but I long ago stopped trying to drill thru thin stock and find the resultant holes where I had intended them to have wandered a bit from their C/L, Without a small brake for bending, I'd clamp it on a flat surface, and slowly start knocking the flap into the direction of the fold Maybe even go as far as cutting the angle on the edge of the wood surface being used for the bending form so you can knock it into being flush with that 'wooden bend fixture'.
              Last edited by nevetslab; 02-06-2022, 08:28 PM.
              Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

https://www.tedweber.com/5e3bp/
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"Being born on third base and thinking that you must have hit a triple is pure delusion!" Steve A

Comment

Working...
                X