• Show
Clear All

• tedmich
    replied
    http://peavey.com/forum/download/fil...89365075849e6d

Leave a comment:

• olddawg
    replied
    Honestly.. I know there are a lot of people on this board that just love building, modding, and rebuilding amps. I get that, and if that's what you are going for, more power to yah. But ....., normally classic Bassmans aren't used for bass. They are used for loud, dirty guitar with hot (ish) pickups. If it is for bass application and you don't really know what one sounds like, I would suggest you go to a store that sells old gear and try one. For practicality if you want a decent 100 watt bass rig to gig with, sell the Peavey and check out a new Fender Rumble. Great inexpensive club bass amp. IMHO anyway.

Leave a comment:

• überfuzz
    replied
    Originally posted by Enzo View Post
    Just a note on net etiquette. Many of us are not going to go search out another thread to find a schematic, when it takes so little to just provide a link. Not everyone knows a VK212 and a VK100 are the same. A 5150 combo and a 5150 head are not at all the same, for example.

http://bmamps.com/Schematics/Peavey/...veking_212.pdf

As to turning it into a Bassman, This power transformer has no 6v winding, the heaters are all in series and run on DC. It works just fine, but if you plan to change the number of tubes, that would be a major consideration. If you wanted to build a different circuit and needed a new power tranny, then it might make more sense to sell this amp and buy an old Traynor Bass Mate or something to do your build in.

The PV uses a split load PI instead of the LTP like fender. If that is OK with yu, then keep the power amp stock and just rebuild the preamp. If you want the LTP, then you lose one of the other triodes.
    I've been looking at the schematics and thought I'd maybe go for a 6G6 build just to have the same number of tubes. It just that I don't know much about bassman circuitry, what they sound like, is there a holy grail bassman bass circuit, etc? About he phase inverter in the vk100, well, I'm not familiar with this type of phase inverter. I think I have to read up on that before I decide. If I can 'save' circuitry that would be nice.

Thanks for the input!

Leave a comment:

• Enzo
    replied
    Just a note on net etiquette. Many of us are not going to go search out another thread to find a schematic, when it takes so little to just provide a link. Not everyone knows a VK212 and a VK100 are the same. A 5150 combo and a 5150 head are not at all the same, for example.

http://bmamps.com/Schematics/Peavey/...veking_212.pdf

As to turning it into a Bassman, This power transformer has no 6v winding, the heaters are all in series and run on DC. It works just fine, but if you plan to change the number of tubes, that would be a major consideration. If you wanted to build a different circuit and needed a new power tranny, then it might make more sense to sell this amp and buy an old Traynor Bass Mate or something to do your build in.

The PV uses a split load PI instead of the LTP like fender. If that is OK with yu, then keep the power amp stock and just rebuild the preamp. If you want the LTP, then you lose one of the other triodes.

Leave a comment:

• überfuzz
    replied
    Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
    Hey Uber,

I have a Bassman 100 & an AB165 Bassman. I definitely think the AB165 has more character. The company Earth made a 100W AB165, I'd like to try it. I'm just saying, the Bassman 100 preamp is rather vanilla without that extra "compressor" stage... and the fact that both channels share it makes for mega-fat when you bridge the channels. But like all Fenders, both pass way too much bass and fart like mad if you turn the bass up at a reasonable volume. Can be fixed with caps, likely.

Anyway, I vote for a 100W AB165 (or later SF) Bassman.

Justin

Forgot: any chance someone is looking for a VK100?
    Ok you sold the Bassman 100, â la AB165. I'm actually thinking bass amp. So I think I'll stick with the bassy bypass caps in the pre-amp.

Leave a comment:

• überfuzz
    replied
    Originally posted by bea View Post
    If You like to see comments You might want to consider sharing the schematics of the vk100 with us. That amp is possibly less well known...
    There are quite a few posts with the PeaVey VK212 schematics in the forum... which would be the same as the vk100.

Leave a comment:

• Justin Thomas
    replied
    Hey Uber,

I have a Bassman 100 & an AB165 Bassman. I definitely think the AB165 has more character. The company Earth made a 100W AB165, I'd like to try it. I'm just saying, the Bassman 100 preamp is rather vanilla without that extra "compressor" stage... and the fact that both channels share it makes for mega-fat when you bridge the channels. But like all Fenders, both pass way too much bass and fart like mad if you turn the bass up at a reasonable volume. Can be fixed with caps, likely.

Anyway, I vote for a 100W AB165 (or later SF) Bassman.

Justin

Forgot: any chance someone is looking for a VK100?

Leave a comment:

• bea
    replied
    If You like to see comments You might want to consider sharing the schematics of the vk100 with us. That amp is possibly less well known...

Leave a comment:

• überfuzz
    started a topic Peavey vk100 into some bassman like amp

Peavey vk100 into some bassman like amp

I have a Peavey vk100 that I don't really like. At the moment I'm playing with the idea of rebuild it into something more useful, i.e. useful for me. I think the power and out put transformers will cut if I go for a quad of 6L6CG in the power section, the same as the vk100. The reverb is a OP-amp circuit that I have to look into more as I would like to reuse the pan in this build. At the moment I think in the lines of Bassman 100 or maybe a Bassman 135. The Bassman 100 seems really nice and fairly simple.

Any suggestions, pointers, etc on this project would be appreciated. :-)
Working...
X