Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowcurrent
    replied
    I had to replace the original speakers, they didn't sound good at all. And one of them made all kind of noises.
    So now there is one Celestion Century Vintage and one Weber alnico Signature speaker. Odd combo, but that was what I had available. Sounds much better than the originals, though!

I once promised myself never to build an amp without tremolo, so the unused tube socket will be used for that. I'm going to use the Vibrochamp circuit and connect it to the cathode on the second preamp stage.

Here is the schematic for the amp minus tremolo:chritmasconversion.pdf

Leave a comment:

• olddawg
    replied
    Sounds a little “hairy” to me when pushed... might be the speaker.. might be the band pass. Sounds good clean. If you are still using 6L6s, consider installing an effects loop and using a solid state reverb and Tremelo.

Leave a comment:

• TomCarlos
    replied
    Ditto on the Doctor's comment ... nice job on this project.

You have an unused nine pin tube socket? Hmmm... reverb perhaps?

Leave a comment:

• DrGonz78
    replied
    Don't see 6L6 with cathode bias too often. Sounds excellent!!! Nice job! You gonna post a schematic so we can see your design implementation?

Leave a comment:

• Lowcurrent
    replied
    Well, the amp is up and running. Ended up with cathode bias instead of fixed bias, no tremolo. Yet. Gonna play the amp for while and decide what to do (if anything) with the unused nine pin tube socket.
    The amp is quite loud and punchy, and has a raw overdrive when pushed.
    Here is a bad example of how it sounds: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4S0YDC30etI

Leave a comment:

• olddawg
    replied
    Originally posted by DrGonz78 View Post
    Best and easiest is for me!! Just copy the bias supply that was on the original amp.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56482[/ATTACH]
    Absolutely.. The 6G5 uses -55vdc bias. I’m sure you can adjust the voltage divider to work..

Leave a comment:

• Enzo
    replied
    Nosaj, the VTX series was like Musicman, this is plain old grid input. His is a plain old VT series.They used transistors for the phase inverter instead of a tube, but it still fed the grids.

Classic used transistor preamp and tube power amp.

Classic VT used same tube power amp but ICs instead of transistors for preamp.

Classic VTX used the IC preamp and the cathode driven power amp.

Leave a comment:

• Lowcurrent
    replied
    DrGonz78, thanks for the schematic.

nosaj, The idea was to build something 40-50 watt brownface fenderish with only one channel and bias modulating tremolo. I used the schematic for the 6G4 Super as a starting point.

Leave a comment:

• nosaj
    replied
    Originally posted by DrGonz78 View Post
    Best and easiest is for me!! Just copy the bias supply that was on the original amp.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56482[/ATTACH]
    That would be valid if he's keeping the power section the same. If I remember correctly this particular output on this one is very similar to the musicman output.
    It would be very helpful to know exactly you are trying to build. Million ways to skin a cat, but you only need a few ways with the right tool. Give us a roadmap.

nosaj

Leave a comment:

• DrGonz78
    replied
    Originally posted by Lowcurrent View Post
    There is no bias tap from the HV secondary, but there is a separate 59VAC secondary on the PT. What would be the best and easiest way to make the negative bias supply?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-12-29 12-25-34.png
Views:	1
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	856392

Leave a comment:

• Lowcurrent
    replied
    I found time to start the Peavey conversion this weekend. The amp is from 1976 and it’s not very good looking, but I’m going to keep it looking stock. I’m hoping it will turn out to be an ugly duckling.
    I have removed the pcb and other unneccesary parts, installed three noval tube sockets, and started on the power supply. The PT outs out 399VAC, which is a little high. Since there is no center tap, a bridge rectifier is the only option that I know of, but that should result in a B+ of around 515VDC loaded. I’ll put a 100-150 ohm resistor between the bridge rectifier and the reservoir cap to lower the voltage some.

There is no bias tap from the HV secondary, but there is a separate 59VAC secondary on the PT. What would be the best and easiest way to make the negative bias supply?

Name:	4EC4BE77-5A3D-4EC9-856E-285DFAD4949F.jpeg
Size:	270.8 KB
ID:	856388

Name:	E0080BD9-6A8F-4858-88EE-937E214F8EBE.jpeg
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	856390

Name:	DDF044CE-578A-4C35-AFFD-277F45575F9D.jpeg
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	856389

Leave a comment:

• Lowcurrent
    replied
    Thank you everyone for your valuable input!
    I'm going to take my chances and add three preamp tubes. The plan is to build something based on a 2x6L6 Brownface Fender like the 6G5 Pro, but with only one channel and a one-tube bias modulating tremolo to keep the tube-count down.
    I'll post some pics here when I get started (hopefully around christmas holidays).

Thanks again!

Chris

Leave a comment:

• TomCarlos
    replied
    LC.... does that friend (or do you have another) who might have a throw away Peavey Mace? I believe that amp uses the 705-16733 Transformer. That one should work too. As a standalone part, they are hard to come by on the used market. But as it was suggested, try the transformer that you already have.

If you are a schematic collector, here is the schematic for the Deuce/Mace.

Good luck!!

Tom

Leave a comment:

• Enzo
    replied
    Agree, I just checked.

Leave a comment:

• glebert
    replied
    I think they used the same PT (# 16732) for the Classic and the Deuce. Since the Deuce was a 4x6L6 it seems like there should be extra capacity there.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X