Silvertone 5238/5240 conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silvertone 5238/5240 conversion?

Picked up a Silvertone 5240 stereo (dual mono) tube reel-to-reel the other day. Was thinking about trying to do a tape delay with it but it doesn't have speed control and only two heads, so that seems out. Thinking about pullint out the tape transport part and putting a couple speakers up there reels would be and making it a combo amp. Can't find any schematics for it. 5238 seems almost identical, but no schematics for that either. Tube set is 6bq5, 7247, 6eu7. I do get some noise out of the built-in speakers that goes up and down with the volume controls, so the amps are doing something. Plugged a guitar in the mic input, could only get a pretty weak and distorted sound when I put it into "Add-In" mode, but not regular "Record" mode. Could be a bad switch or dirty contacts. Anyway, anyone got a formula they use for converting R2R to guitar amps?

Thanks,
    Greg

Not mine, but similar to this one.
    Attached Files

See if Sams Photofacts lists it.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

That is a real nice unit.
      Have you considered simply selling it?

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
        Some of the pricing for old reel to reels is very surprising. Like you could buy several nice amps for what some are worth.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
          I may end up doing that, it's not like I need another oddball guitar amp (or non-oddball one, for that matter). I'm going to try to find a takeup reel today so that I can run some tape through it and see what is or isn't going on for playback and record.

I looked in Sam's Photofacts and didn't see it.

Comment

Working...
          X