Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having a hard time debugging this one...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SimonAntony
    replied
    Originally posted by mort View Post
    Just got around to shipping this one off the other day. It was a casual build for a trade with a guitar building friend of mine. Here's the trade:

and as a bit of fun he added some actual vintage flare
    Hi Mort

Came across your post whilst researching the Jim Kelley amp clones, i'm planning on building one and was very interested in what you did here!

Did you by any chance create an updated circuit diagram at all? I'm trying to get a clean and updated copy as some of the ones i've found are not that clear - also any other spurious notes you may have made on the amp, pics are not showing anymore as the post is so old :-)

Cheers

Si

Leave a comment:

• mort
    replied
    Just got around to shipping this one off the other day. It was a casual build for a trade with a guitar building friend of mine. Here's the trade:

and as a bit of fun he added some actual vintage flare

Leave a comment:

• mort
    replied
    Here's a couple clips of teh amp with a different player on each clip.

The clips are informal and a little long but there is some good stuff in each.

The second is mainly noodling to see what the amp/guitar will do. He was checking out the switch positions on the Esquire...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...EQ1em9GbWM5VW8

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...DkwekNyT0NMN3M

Leave a comment:

• mort
    replied
    Just following up with the resolution. Turns out the hum was just an insecure connection on the input grid tab. This amp is a beast. Mr Kelley sure knows how to design a good one, no doubt about that. I'll get some proper clips up soon. I've got 2 of my favorite local guitarists recording on 5 different amps tomorrow. Should be fun

Leave a comment:

• Enzo
    replied
    If you are worried about the OT orientation, pull the tubes and fire up the amp. If the PT and T are coupled, you will get hum in the speaker even without the tubes.

Leave a comment:

• nickb
    replied
    Hmmm.. just got back home (long day) and now the hum is back and the snow is gone. I thought it might have something to do with moving it to the other side of the shop and away from my laptop... but nope. I walked around the shop with it and the hum was consistent no matter where it was. I'm a little too tired to try anything more tonight but I'm thinking I'll replace the shielded cable just in case I accidentally sliced through the conductor jacket, thus allowing the shield a tiny access to the conductor. Will probably also try grounding the shields somewhere else.

Let's hope it doesn't come to moving the OT. I really don't feel like it's inherent to the layout because it was very plain that it started when that shield got grounded, and had no constant noise like that at all beforehand, only that it sounded bad when the guitar signal was applied.

I'm thrilled about the amp being mostly up an running though. This is one of the richest sounding circuits I've ever heard. It has a sturdy rubber type low end and a very glassy top. Scooped like a Fender but richer and thicker.
    I'm not exactly in agreement with moving the OT unless it's picking up hum from the PT or its otherwise proven that there is a problem with the location. Right now it's away from the PT and on the other side of a screen. Your instability problems will likely arise from capacitive coupling. The OT lives on the other side of said screen which will prevent such coupling. Re-route the primary wires by drilling a new hole near the power tubes and run them on the other side of the chassis. Where they are in the piccie is just about the worst place you could choose.
    Last edited by nickb; 04-26-2016, 08:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mort
    replied
    Hmmm.. just got back home (long day) and now the hum is back and the snow is gone. I thought it might have something to do with moving it to the other side of the shop and away from my laptop... but nope. I walked around the shop with it and the hum was consistent no matter where it was. I'm a little too tired to try anything more tonight but I'm thinking I'll replace the shielded cable just in case I accidentally sliced through the conductor jacket, thus allowing the shield a tiny access to the conductor. Will probably also try grounding the shields somewhere else.

Let's hope it doesn't come to moving the OT. I really don't feel like it's inherent to the layout because it was very plain that it started when that shield got grounded, and had no constant noise like that at all beforehand, only that it sounded bad when the guitar signal was applied.

I'm thrilled about the amp being mostly up an running though. This is one of the richest sounding circuits I've ever heard. It has a sturdy rubber type low end and a very glassy top. Scooped like a Fender but richer and thicker.

Leave a comment:

• Musant
    replied
    Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
    My last build, I had an unbeatable hum I couldn't get rid of. Every time I tried the conventional "proper" way to fix it, I just couldn't kill it - it was the same or got worse. Eventually, in desperation, I don't remember how I arrived at this, but I isolated it to (I think) the PI, I took a two-foot piece of wire and used it to ground the stage. I found out that the longest, most wrongly-routed ground wire killed that hum 90%, apparently because the PT was sending out a wicked magnetic field, and I just had to cancel it with this long-ass piece of wire. So that wire layout and where I grounded it to completely defies grounding "wisdom," but it worked...

As it was a gutted amp and the tranny layout was already set, I couldn't rotate them... the hum is still somewhat there if you really crank it up, but a 50W EL34 stage drowns that out easily. No ill effect on guitar tone.

Justin

edit: IOW, sometimes some crazy-ass $#!+ just happens, and you gotta do some equally crazy-ass $#!+ to fix it...

Edit-edit: no scope...
    It's possible to inject a hum signal at some point in the signal path such that it is approximately equal in amplitude and opposite in phase to the objectionable hum signal. But that solution is not exactly what I would call 'excellence in engineering'. ;-)

The bias network at the input to a split-load phase inverter can inject hum if the power supply is not adequately filtered.

And it's no secret that the power transformer can induce 60 Hz directly into the output transformer if care is not taken to avoid it.

I suspect in this case there may be a super audible oscillation masquerading as 'hum'. (470pf doesn't usually have much effect below middle C in tube circuits ;-))

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Enzo
    replied
    There are some Mesa amps with a small antenna wire sticking up from the circuit board to do just that.

Leave a comment:

• Justin Thomas
    replied
    My last build, I had an unbeatable hum I couldn't get rid of. Every time I tried the conventional "proper" way to fix it, I just couldn't kill it - it was the same or got worse. Eventually, in desperation, I don't remember how I arrived at this, but I isolated it to (I think) the PI, I took a two-foot piece of wire and used it to ground the stage. I found out that the longest, most wrongly-routed ground wire killed that hum 90%, apparently because the PT was sending out a wicked magnetic field, and I just had to cancel it with this long-ass piece of wire. So that wire layout and where I grounded it to completely defies grounding "wisdom," but it worked...

As it was a gutted amp and the tranny layout was already set, I couldn't rotate them... the hum is still somewhat there if you really crank it up, but a 50W EL34 stage drowns that out easily. No ill effect on guitar tone.

Justin

edit: IOW, sometimes some crazy-ass $#!+ just happens, and you gotta do some equally crazy-ass $#!+ to fix it...

Edit-edit: no scope...
    Last edited by Justin Thomas; 04-25-2016, 10:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Musant
    replied
    Well this is interesting. Just stopped by the house and figured I would do the Enzo test. I had moved the amp to the other side of the shop to a staging area and just plugged it in where it sits and there was no hum (was probably 60Hz) but instead now I'm getting a washy sound that sounds similar to snow on and old TV set.
    Try relocating your output transformer nearer to the output tubes and get it away from the preamp. Make sure that its laminations are oriented at 90 degrees to the those of the power transformer, and try swapping the blue and brown leads of the OT primary.

Best of luck,
    Jim

Leave a comment:

• nickb
    replied
    Well this is interesting. Just stopped by the house and figured I would do the Enzo test. I had moved the amp to the other side of the shop to a staging area and just plugged it in where it sits and there was no hum (was probably 60Hz) but instead now I'm getting a washy sound that sounds similar to snow on and old TV set.
    I suspect it's still unstable.

Leave a comment:

• mort
    replied

Leave a comment:

• nickb
    replied
    The blue and brown wires are the OT primary. I've moved all of those wires where they sort of intersect in the middle and they don't have any effect on the hum. And they were all situated as they are now when there was no ground hum at all. Not really sure if it's 60 or 120 hz buzz.

The noise does increase if I put a metal probe close to where the two shielded leads connect on the board. But nothing (so far) makes the hum get any quieter. It's consistent whether anything is plugged in or not and no matter the volume setting on the amp or guitar. Totally wasn't there when the amp was unstable with oscillations.
    The reason for not putting them ( blue/brown) there is instability, not hum. Keep the big sigs away from the li'l' 'uns!

I don't why a properly grounded screened lead should make things worse unless it's connected to a hummy ground. You always take that out and see if it is repeatable. With the blue/brown moved to a sensible location i.e. away from everything you might not have instability anyway. Also consider that the instability could have been masking the hum.

60 or 120Hz: the famous test attributable to the equally famous Enzo. Unplug your lead from your guitar and touch the end - that is 60Hz hum. Now go compare.
    Last edited by nickb; 04-25-2016, 05:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mort
    replied
    The blue and brown wires are the OT primary. I've moved all of those wires where they sort of intersect in the middle and they don't have any effect on the hum. And they were all situated as they are now when there was no ground hum at all. Not really sure if it's 60 or 120 hz buzz.

The noise does increase if I put a metal probe close to where the two shielded leads connect on the board. But nothing (so far) makes the hum get any quieter. It's consistent whether anything is plugged in or not and no matter the volume setting on the amp or guitar. Totally wasn't there when the amp was unstable with oscillations.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X