• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J M Fahey
    replied
    In any case you can not repeat not build this:

Originally posted by czech-one-2 View Post
    Hello, I'm building kind of a one-off amp. It will be a single ended 6l6 amp using a Fender Champ 12 PT and OT [fenders mid 80's red knob 6l6 champ] and a fender musicmaster bass amp layout, with one 12ax7 and a small interstage transformer as a phase inverter.
    Simply because single ended amplifiers do NOT have Phase Inverters, even less transformer driven ones.

You may be asking why build a single ended musicmaster bass amp? Well,I have all the parts from two DOA amps and it should be a relatively simple build and kind of unique!
    If you have half a submarine and half a plane there is no way you can not use those to build a submaplane.
    Unique? ... sure !!!
    Will it work? .... mmmmhhhh .... no.

However, I'm stumped with the champ 12 Power Transformer. Its a Schumaker I believe and has the usual two red,2 green and a yellow 240 volt tap [I'm in the EU]. It has a grey wire that went to the on/off switch on the champ 12 and a black wire that went from the fuse to the on/off switch next to the grey wire. It also has a blue and brown that are wire nutted together and an orange that is cut and was wire nutted.
    Rebuild the original Champ power supply, in full.
    Then youŽll have a certain +V (whatever the Champ used) and 6.3V filament voltage, suitable for one 6L6 and two 12AX7.
    You can build any Bass amplifier which is happy with tat tube complement.
    In fact, the Champ 12 as-is is a good Bass amp ... not too different from a Blackface Bassman, where the "good" channel was the "normal" one, the so called "Bass" one being muddy.
    You just need a Bass speaker in a closed or tuned box of suitable volume instead of a shoebox sized open back one, which is fine for guitar

My problem is that there is a red and yellow PT wire on the musicmaster bass amp layout that goes to the 220ohm cathode resistor. The Champ 12 PT does not have this wire color code so I'm at a stand still. [See attached Musicmaster Bass layout]
    Forget the Musicmaster layout and even more "playing by the colours" because they donŽt necessarily match AT ALL and mistakes here go from dangerous to deadly.
    Just rebuild the Champ 12 Power Amp and supply, and add whatever preamp you fancy ... even an Ampeg type one.
    12 PT wires can be used for this cathode resistor location, specifically one of the un-used wire nutted blue,brown or orange wires.
    I know this might be a lame question, but this is my first build and its the only thing stumping me!
    [If this helps, the black PT wire shows continuity with the blue and brown wire nutted wires]
    See above suggestion.

And please post schematics, raw layouts are incomplete and create more questions than they answer.

Leave a comment:

• czech-one-2
    replied
    Could you recommend a PT with a center tap that would work in this amp?

Leave a comment:

• czech-one-2
    replied
    Originally posted by Enzo View Post
    You are focusing on "the red wire goes to the cathode resistor." What you should focus on is the overall CIRCUIT. Draw a schematic of exactly what you plan to build. THEN where which wire goes will be more clear.

The wire from the transformer was a center tap that went to ground, It is soldered to the resistor simply because that end of that resistor was the nearest grounded point on the layout. Follow on your layout that red/yellow wire is soldered to the resistor, yes, but continues along teh side of the board until it gets grounded over near the input jacks.

Your transformer lacks a center tap, so you cannot make the full wave power supply of the Musicmaster. You could wire a bridge rectifier across the red wires for a lowish B+ voltage, or duplicate the Champ12 doubler for about 500v.
    Yes, I'm kinda painting by numbers. Enzo, I have the power supply board from the champ 12, it is not damaged. But I dont know how to integrate that into my Musicmaster bass circuit board?

Leave a comment:

• Enzo
    replied
    You are focusing on "the red wire goes to the cathode resistor." What you should focus on is the overall CIRCUIT. Draw a schematic of exactly what you plan to build. THEN where which wire goes will be more clear.

The wire from the transformer was a center tap that went to ground, It is soldered to the resistor simply because that end of that resistor was the nearest grounded point on the layout. Follow on your layout that red/yellow wire is soldered to the resistor, yes, but continues along teh side of the board until it gets grounded over near the input jacks.

Your transformer lacks a center tap, so you cannot make the full wave power supply of the Musicmaster. You could wire a bridge rectifier across the red wires for a lowish B+ voltage, or duplicate the Champ12 doubler for about 500v.

Leave a comment:

• czech-one-2
    replied
    Originally posted by alexradium View Post
    this is your PT schematic
    http://el34world.com/charts/Schemati...p_12_schem.pdf

you can see the difference,no center tap in your PT,that goes to ground.
    Primary leave it like that,feed voltage to grey and black,how much voltage do you get on the red/red secondary?
    Well, the amp is in its beginning stages and not wired up,I'm just laying it out so there is no voltage as of yet. So with no center tap that goes to the cathode resistor, is this project doomed??? Does that mean I have to buy a PT?

Leave a comment:

• alexradium
    replied
    this is your PT schematic
    http://el34world.com/charts/Schemati...p_12_schem.pdf

you can see the difference,no center tap in your PT,that goes to ground.
    Primary leave it like that,feed voltage to grey and black,how much voltage do you get on the red/red secondary?

Leave a comment:

• czech-one-2
    replied
    Heres some photos of the champ 12 PT. On one side,the two red wires have been extended with orange, the two heater wires are green/yellow.
    On the other side is the blue/brown nutted wire,the cut orange, the grey that went to the on/off switch and the yellow which was the 240v tap.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0099.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	628.4 KB
ID:	849990

Name:	IMG_0102.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	585.3 KB
ID:	849991

Name:	IMG_0103.JPG
Size:	587.8 KB
ID:	849992

Name:	IMG_0104.JPG
Size:	618.3 KB
ID:	849993

Name:	IMG_0101.JPG
Size:	650.7 KB
ID:	849994
    Last edited by czech-one-2; 06-26-2018, 02:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• czech-one-2
    started a topic Power Transformer wiring help!!!

Power Transformer wiring help!!!

Hello, I'm building kind of a one-off amp. It will be a single ended 6l6 amp using a Fender Champ 12 PT and OT [fenders mid 80's red knob 6l6 champ] and a fender musicmaster bass amp layout, with one 12ax7 and a small interstage transformer as a phase inverter. You may be asking why build a single ended musicmaster bass amp? Well,I have all the parts from two DOA amps and it should be a relatively simple build and kind of unique! However, I'm stumped with the champ 12 Power Transformer. Its a Schumaker I believe and has the usual two red,2 green and a yellow 240 volt tap [I'm in the EU]. It has a grey wire that went to the on/off switch on the champ 12 and a black wire that went from the fuse to the on/off switch next to the grey wire. It also has a blue and brown that are wire nutted together and an orange that is cut and was wire nutted.
    My problem is that there is a red and yellow PT wire on the musicmaster bass amp layout that goes to the 220ohm cathode resistor. The Champ 12 PT does not have this wire color code so I'm at a stand still. [See attached Musicmaster Bass layout]

http://file:///C:/Users/Uzivatel/Des...hem_layout.pdf

Name:	IMG_3233.jpg
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	873729

My question is this, how can I find out if one of my champ 12 PT wires can be used for this cathode resistor location, specifically one of the un-used wire nutted blue,brown or orange wires.
    I know this might be a lame question, but this is my first build and its the only thing stumping me!
    [If this helps, the black PT wire shows continuity with the blue and brown wire nutted wires]
    Last edited by czech-one-2; 06-26-2018, 02:09 PM.
Working...
X