Mission amps 5e3 speaker jack wiring help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mission amps 5e3 speaker jack wiring help

Could anyone do me a huge favor and post a picture of how you wired 2 speaker jacks together on a mission amp 5e3 kit? I cant even remotely wrap my head around the diagram for wiring for the speakers. I have 2 speaker jacks. One of which has 2 tabs for soldering, the other has 3. The Output transformer has 2 leftover wires-- a black one and a blue one. The wiring in the diagram doesn't make sense to me, I only see it picturing a single black wire connecting the 2 jacks to each other and the blue wire going to a different tab and ground, but when I look online I see a bunch of wires going between each jack.

If you could help me out and post a pic of how you wired the output transformer to the 2 speaker jacks and the 2 speaker jacks together I would GREATLY appreciate it. Thanks!

Welcome to the place!

It would help us immensely if you could provide some documentation. Can you upload a schematic and/or layout? Otherwise we are just guessing.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

Comment

Like this maybe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5e3 023.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	847489
      Speaker jacks. Left is 8 ohm, right is 4 ohm.

Comment

Could be, but he says one of the jacks has 3 tabs, so I'm thinking maybe it's a switching jack for internal and external speaker. It also seems there are multiple OT taps, so there could be numerous correct ways to wire it up.

Comment

Three tabs also suggests the common Fender arrangement of a shorting jack on the main output, with a parallel aux out jack.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

If you only are using the Green and Black wires and want to disconnect the internal speaker:

5e3_schem.pdf

I found this: Mission Tweedy Deluxe layout:

5e3_layout.pdf

It comes down to what the OP wants the circuit to do & what OT he has, doesn't it?
            The three tab jack can be used as a two tab.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
              ......It comes down to what the OP wants the circuit to do & what OT he has, doesn't it?......
              Yep. And what speaker/cabinet combination is intended. It's a kit, so there are lots of options.

Comment

Hey guys! Yes, I am new here, and yes, this is my first amp build hence the questions so sorry for being a newb! I do hesitate to post a pic of the schematic as I don't wanna ruffle any feathers with Mission amps. I just figured I'd ask cause I assumed people might be familiar with this specific 5e3 kit here instead of emailing Bruce cause we were building a lot today today and I figured it'd be faster since we're coming close to the end of the build and getting stoked to plug it in soon!

I am building this 5e3 as a 4x10 combo amp like a bassman, and the speaker load is wired to 8ohms. But I was confused on what the second output jack was for-- an extension cabinet? Would I use the 3 tab jack for the main speakers (I already have a wiring harness utilizing a single input plug) and the 2 tab jack for the extension cab (that I won't even be using, at least for now)?

Thanks for any help! I hope to contribute to this place more in the future, when I actually have something useful to say haha

Comment

With that configuration, I'd wire it like a typical Fender amp. The two jacks will be paralleled and tip connections hooked to the 8 ohm tap. The grounds will be also connected together and with the OT secondary ground. Then, wire the switch contact of the 3 pin jack to ground also so that when nothing is plugged in the output is grounded. There's a diagram that shows that layout here:

https://robrobinette.com/images/Guit...dby_layout.png

The second jack (non-switching) is for an extension cabinet. The main speaker jack must be used first or the output remains shorted via the switch in the jack. This is a typical Fender amp configuration.

Comment

That website is amazing. Thanks for the link! SO much reading to do on there!

Comment

Working...
                    X