Classictone OT and PT wiring info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classictone OT and PT wiring info

I recently purchased a OT (40-18022) and a PT (40-18021) for my 5E3 tweed deluxe build.
    Ive built a few already using Mission kits and this is my first build from sourcing my own parts.
    I was wondering if you could help telling me what wires correspond to the PT and OT i've previously used.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Here is the 5E3 Wiring diagram for the classictone transformers.
    Looks pretty basic.
    http://site.triodestore.com/5E3Delux...-18021120V.pdf
    **edit
    Here's your OT
    http://www.classictone.net/40-18022.pdf
    Last edited by big_teee; 04-21-2013, 09:38 PM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Tks!

For the OT. I'm not sure how to wire the speaker jack. On my Mission build, I had 2 wires. On this one, I just have the black wire (8 ohm) since the other is grounded the OT itself. How do I wire the black to the jack?

Comment

http://www.classictone.net/40-18022-06.JPG
        The Black wire goes to the tip of the speaker jack.
        You can run a wire from the ring connector of the jack to the wire that is bonded to the OPT.
        Or chassis ground the ring of the jack & make sure the OPT is bonded well to the chassis.

Comment

I like the Magnetic Components products. However, am I the only one who thinks it's strange that someone would sell an OT with one secondary lead pre-soldered to the mounting bracket? I realize that the originals are installed that way but that was for build economy not for performance. Based on the photo that Jazz linked the solder joint doesn't even look professional. What if you wanted to use that OT in another amp design. I would want to make my own choice about where to ground the secondary and, even if I didn't care where it was grounded, I wouldn't want to depend on an electrical path through the mechanical connection of the bracket mounting screws.

Comment

I got most of it figured out with some help from Classictone direct. They really provided great service.
            Tom...you have me worried now...is there a danger with using the Classictone OT?
            Last edited by Jonny toetags; 04-23-2013, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
              ... am I the only one who thinks it's strange that someone would sell an OT with one secondary lead pre-soldered to the mounting bracket? I realize that the originals are installed that way but that was for build economy not for performance.
              When I did the transformer group buy way back when, I got two 5e3 transformers that were made that way. I had a cow when I saw that the vendor was making their transformers like that and charging a such a price premium for them. I ended up talking to the sales guy, the engineer, and the owner about it being a lame way to produce iron in the 21st Century. I was told that when they "clone" old iron, they "clone" old iron -- replicating both the good features and the bad ones. Interestingly since I made such a fuss about this they've started selling "modern" versions of the iron that have a ground lead for the secondary instead of the little self-ground lead that goes to the transformer bracket. I guess I'm not the only guy who complained.
              "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny toetags View Post
                ...Tom...you have me worried now...is there a danger with using the Classictone OT?
                No. There is no danger. It should work just as well as the original. My point (and bob p's) is that they are mindlessly copying the old installation scheme. They missed an opportunity for improvement that would not have adversely affected the tone.
                Have fun and don't worry,
                Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
                  No. There is no danger. It should work just as well as the original. My point (and bob p's) is that they are mindlessly copying the old installation scheme. They missed an opportunity for improvement that would not have adversely affected the tone.
                  Have fun and don't worry,
                  Tom
                  Sounds good.
                  I might add some star washers as suggested in another thread.
                  Do you think you could take a look at a question I had about a grounding schem?
                  I asked over here: http://music-electronics-forum.com/t32876/

Comment

Working...
                  X