Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct Voltages in 5E3?

Hello Tweedies,
    I am building three 5E3s for my fellow blues buddies. I am curious to know what the proper voltages are for the pre-amp section of the 5E3.
    Can someone please help me to solve this.

Off the top of my head, somewhere around 140-160ish for the first stage and sameish for the driver and a bit more (say 180-200ish or maybe more) for the inverter
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Hi King...well these are my volatges...are they correct? seem to be within acceptable limits.
      I dont think that there are any "correct voltages" just a guide range that you should try and stay within, but maybe someone will correct me on that point.
      Hope this helps...

EH6V6 GT's...
      Plates are both 364V, grids are 319V & cathode is 20V

V1 EH 12AY7
      1=121V
      3=1.90V
      6=122V

V2 12AX7
      1=154 V
      3=1.2 V
      6=194V
      8=44V

Rectifier NOS 5y3gt Pin 8
      367v

Comment

in range, would like it cleaner/brighter

Thanks guys!
        I am in this range but am still getting flabby bass type distortion. Any suggestions. I used M150 tube caps throughout, do you think swithcing to orange drops will clean this up?
        I used a 250ohm/5W bypass resistor on the power stage. I have tried a 270ohm and it seems to get worse. A 220ohm is also bad...any thoughts?
        My voltages seem close, just bassy and a little to much distortion.

Comment

Originally posted by KingCameron View Post
          Thanks guys!
          I am in this range but am still getting flabby bass type distortion. Any suggestions. I used M150 tube caps throughout, do you think swithcing to orange drops will clean this up?
          I used a 250ohm/5W bypass resistor on the power stage. I have tried a 270ohm and it seems to get worse. A 220ohm is also bad...any thoughts?
          My voltages seem close, just bassy and a little to much distortion.
          Dump the 22uF-25uF cathode bypass caps from the 12AX7 and 12AY7 triodes and use 4.7uF caps for starts.
          Also, try using .022uF to .047uf coupling caps from the 12AY7 to the volume pots... that's assuming you are using the correct 12AY7 preamp tube.
          Bruce

Mission Amps
          Denver, CO. 80022
          www.missionamps.com
          303-955-2412

Comment

Will try...

Thanks Bruce!
            I'll try the changes you have suggested.

When you refer to the coupling cap changes, does it matter what kind of cap I use? (Orange drop, metalized tube, silver mica..ect)

Thanks for your help. Your suggestions will serve to ensure some killer tone for the upcoming Holiday sessions...

Comment

Silver micas generally don't come bigger than 5000pF (the biggest Cornell Dublier ones I have seen advertised).

Any film cap will work fine - if you have some 716P, use those, otherwise any poly film cap. (The only ones I'd stay away from are disc ceramic)

I used the ole' 22nF 400V mustard caps for coupling the first stages of my recent 5E3. (They were only NZ$2 ea.) They sound good
              Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Working...
              X