Changing filter cap values

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing filter cap values

I'm building a 5F2A Tweed Princeton project amp with some different mods. I've seen a few threads where folks had changed their filter caps from a pair of 16uF and a pair of 8uF to 20uF and 10uF. The benefit listed was tighter bass response. My project layout.

My questions are:

1. Would I need to change the values of the resistors in the filter stage? Any other components?

2. What are the pros and cons of making this change?

You can use a single 33uf@500v cap for the first stage with no real serious issues, but you might find better filtering if you use a 16uf to 22uF@500v cap followed by a small resistance (47 to 100 ohms@ 3-5 watts) and then another 22uF@500v to 33uF@500v cap... just the way you have it but with the power resistor between the + leads of the two main 16uF filter caps.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

Thanks Bruce,

OK so I add the additional power resistor (47-100ohm 5watt) between the + leads of the first two filter caps. I'm a little confused on the values of the caps. You suggest a 16-22uF for the first cap and then a 22-33uF for the second cap but then you say to place the resistor between the two 16uF caps. I assume that your recommending slightly higher cap values for the first two caps that are marked as 16uF caps on my layout.

I have easiest access to 8, 10, 16 and 20 uF filter caps. Could you recommend a config from these values for the four filter caps?

Comment

Here is another layout with the filter caps labeled F1-F4 and the extra power
        resistor added (it also has other components moved to their actual location
        on the board). Do you recommend that F1 be slightly smaller than F2?

Comment

I'd leave that first (reservoir) cap at 16uF (the way you have that layout drawn). If you want it quieter you could put in an HT choke in place of the 47R 5W you have there. It'd only need to be a small (like 50mA) choke
          Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

IMO if this amp has any gain a 47/47/22/22 filter cap arrangement will work better (no choke but that's just me!)

Comment

Working...
            X