Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5F2-A tone pot, log or lin?

Hi,

I am building a nice 5F2-A as my first amp. I have looked into several schematic before and usually Volume pot are always LOG. and EQ pot are sometime LOG or LIN (I noticed bass and mid usually are LOG while trebble is usually LIN). This 5F2-A has only a tone pot and is not specificied which type. Is there a logic to know if it's LOG or LIN for a tone pot? My guess would be LIN, but I'm not sure. I'm talking about the 1M pot with 2 legs between a 0.005uF cap and a 0.0005uF cap. Thanks

The 5F2A layout specifies linear pots for both, but I used log pots in mine.

- Scott

Comment

Log or Lin

Depends where you want it to happen.
      Log will "happen at one end & quicker.
      A linear taper will allow a smooth transistion & it will also allow for a middle setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
        Depends where you want it to happen.
        Log will "happen at one end & quicker.
        A linear taper will allow a smooth transistion & it will also allow for a middle setting.
        Electrically, linear taper pots have a smooth progression from one end to the other. But to our logarithmic ears, linear pots are "all in" early in the rotation, while log pots seem smoother. That's why log pots are often referred to as having "audio taper".

- Scott

Comment

Thanks Scott. I already know about the theory of log pots. My issue was that I could not find the specs for the pot on 5F2-A, where did you find it? Can you post a link? Thanks a lot.

Comment

Here ya go: http://www.thevintagesound.com/ffg/s...2-a_layout.gif

Comment

Working...
            X