• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is this used for?

conar r c tester model 311 follow this link to see it
    http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/conar_r_c_tester_311.html
    just curios what it's use is?

They call it a RC tester - resistor and capacitor tester.

it is an impedance bridge Eico and Heathkit made them as well. I have an Eico I built 50 years ago across the room from me now. Mine will also measure inductors as long as you had a sample to compare it to. Knightkit probably made one too.

When I was a kid and didn't know all the capacitor color code systems - there were quite a few of them - I used it to measure caps. I knew the resistor code, and had a VTVM, so I didn;t use it for that much. The magic eye tube was cool and gave real leakage indication at real voltages. My Eico went up to 500v on the test function. I suspect the COnar did as well, most of those test gear items were pretty similar. I was into short wave radio then, so I did match inductors now and then.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yes Knight made the KnightKit R/C Tester Model 83y124. They also used the Magic Eye.

gary

Comment

so i can test caps w/ this? how do you use it I have no manual?

Comment

I would start by googling the model number and brand. Owners manuals are online for a lot of this old stuff.

If you just want to measure caps, inexpensive DMMs will do that.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I have an Eico cap tester....very old school as well. . Your model's schematic and user manual is going to be hard to locate. I'm sure it works like all the rest of them, same circuit and procedure.

http://tubesound.com/2008/08/23/eico...acitor-tester/

Comment

Working...
            X