Peavey Classic 20 transformer source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Classic 20 transformer source

Lots of good info on this forum, I hope I can give to it.

I'm looking to purchase a Peavey Classic 20 that supposedly has a bad power transformer. If it is blown, anyone know of a source of these?

Thanks much....

Well, yeah...... Peavey.

Call their parts department on the phone and order any part for any Peavey product. They wil answer questions by email but won;t take orders by email.

I recommend you call first thing in the morning - they are on central time - to avoid phone waiting.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Transformers

I had a classic 20 that I should have called 911 over. Burned the circuit board and a good chunk of the tracing. Never learned exactly what happened. I called Peavey and these little guys were out of production by a year or two. At that time I was told that they might be able to repair the board but if a transformer was bad I was on my own. They didn't have access to anymore. I would just have to send it in. I don't know if that was ever resolved or not. Mothballed it. I pulled that thing out of the closed the other day and am only getting a dribble of juice out of the PT. It is still a pretty cool cabinet. I always thought I might build something in its place. Any ideas? Chassis is Master vol., Vol., Bass, Mid, Treble w/ a boost button.

Comment

Originally posted by mikell View Post
          I had a classic 20 that I should have called 911 over. Burned the circuit board and a good chunk of the tracing. Never learned exactly what happened. I called Peavey and these little guys were out of production by a year or two. At that time I was told that they might be able to repair the board but if a transformer was bad I was on my own. They didn't have access to anymore. I would just have to send it in. I don't know if that was ever resolved or not. Mothballed it. I pulled that thing out of the closed the other day and am only getting a dribble of juice out of the PT. It is still a pretty cool cabinet. I always thought I might build something in its place. Any ideas? Chassis is Master vol., Vol., Bass, Mid, Treble w/ a boost button.
          What sound do you like and how much work do you want to do? A Marshall 18watt would fit, as would a Ax84 HO...or several Fireflys, I just finished a Bravo PCB file but thats pretty complex...

Comment

I've considered an 18w. I am an old classic guy. I like the big three. The Marshall we mentioned. Currently, I own an early 70's twin with JBL D120s which I only break out when necessary. Clean forever. Someone modded it and put a master volume in it apparently around 73 or74?. There is a sticker under the MV control that states it. If I want more, I just preamp it or use my Tube screamer. Mostly, right now I have got a Blues Jr. w/ a Celestion Vintage 30 that impresses me so far. I like Tweed or vox AC series. I'm really into tinkering with different tones these days.

Comment

not sure, but could you shoehorn a Classic 30 Tranny in there? They use the same power tubes I believe... EL84; just 2 rather than 4.

I would make sure that the tranny is bad first...there's alot that can go wrong in those little amps, mostly bad soldering, bad buss wire jumpers, etc etc.

Comment

I'm not sure. It is worth investigating. Seems like Peavey would have suggested it though...but maybe not. I should call them anyway. It's been 15 - 17 yrs since the thing died. There may be new resolutions since I last spoke with them. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X