Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

randall rg50tc advertised as el34's sold with 5881's???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• randall rg50tc advertised as el34's sold with 5881's???

Hello group, I just bought a randall rg50tc, it was advertised with el34 tubes which is what I prefer, but when it arrived it had 5881 tubes installed. Does anyone know the history of this change? Did they change transformers, resistors? Can I convert it back to the el34 amp I was wanting to buy? This little amp has the features that I was looking for just the wrong tubes. Thanks for any information you may have about this change.

Hello again

Hello again group. I tried e-mailing Randall and was told to send it to a authorized dealer if I wanted to convert it. I specifically ask for the service or engineering dept, but I am afraid I got cut off at the front office. I sure would like to know a little more about this amps history from the company stand point, is anyone on here a service center for randall, did they send out any notices of the switch of power tubes and any other parts? Thanks for any comments

Comment

Mm if i remember correctly the differences might be that EL34 needs more heater current. If the output transformer primary impedance is correct for both EL34 and 5881 tubes you will only need a few minor changes to convert it to EL34.

You can request randall if they have an schematic of both versions so u can
      learn how to mod it yourself.
      Hearing Is Believing

Comment

thank you

Thank you lee ranaldo for your comment. I guess I will try Randall again, Maybe a different person will answer my next email and be more helpful. I already have the el34 schematic maybe they will send me the other one. Thanks again for your comment

Comment

rg50tc

Another strike out from Randall. I contacted them again. They won't release schematics unless you are a service center. I have the el34 version, so I guess I will just go through that and note the differences. I wrote them back again specifically asking if they used the same transformer but haven't heard back yet. I may have to do some tone mods, I really like this amp alot. It is very portable and sounds pretty good, the only thing is I have to keep the treble on about 8 oclock and the mids on 9-10 oclock and the bass around 10 oclock to get a good tone other wise it is way to brite and grainy for me. I may try some different preamp tubes and I think I am going to do a speaker upgrade. But I like this little amp alot. I got it on close out for 4xx dollars and I think it has tons of potential. I just wish I could get the 5881 schematic.

Comment

I had one of those in for repair a couple-a years back. I thought it sounded pretty damn good for an off the shelf amp. I'd gig one any day.....
            The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

thanks for your response

I totally agree, it is a very nice amp. I will keep it, this is the second 1x12 I have owned and I am thinking about going this route for now on. I have a bad back and carrying around a 4x12 or even a 2x12 plus head or even a 2x12 combo isn't what it used to be for my body. I just need to get a few things ironed out for this to be a long term amp and I will be set. I am very, very happy with this amp especially for the price I paid for it. It has great tone, the stock speaker gets a little mushy if driven to hard. I just got an email back from randall. They wrote the following.

We changed to 6L6 style tubes back in 2008 on this model, there was no need to change out any of the other internal components to make them work.

I guess I can take them at that comment and be able to run el34 in it after a bias with no further internal mods needed???? Anybody think this would be the case??

Thanks,

Comment

Working...
              X