marshall 6100 trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marshall 6100 trouble

Hi all i'm a newbie to the site and was wondering if anyone has come across my problem.I have a marshall 6100 half stack untill recently everything worked great but now when i switch the standby switch on it blows the main fuse any help would be great thanks

Power tubes?

Try with a "known good" set of power tubes.

Comment

While you are waiting for the new power tubes remove all 4 and fit a new fuse
      and try it.If the fuse doesn't blow the power supply is probably ok.
      As it is a half stack is there any chance the amp may have been played (even briefly) with the speakers dissconnected?
      "Winged C" seem to be the toughest tube for Marshalls and seem to have a lower failure rate but there are heaps of Marshalls running fine without Winged C's!

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys,i'll swap the power tubes from my jcm800 and try that if it still blows i'll try it with the power valves out.I'll get back to you as soon as i've done it to let you know how i got on ,thanks again for the advice.

Comment

If that's the "midi Marshall" I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Hi guys,right i swaped the valves from my jcm800 switched standby on and it blew the mains fuse,i then removed the power valves tried again but it still blew.Will i need to start looking for a good techy.

Comment

Originally posted by paul503 View Post
              Hi guys,right i swaped the valves from my jcm800 switched standby on and it blew the mains fuse,i then removed the power valves tried again but it still blew.Will i need to start looking for a good techy.
              remove all the tubes, then put a new fuse and turn it on.

IF it's still burning fuses it means something in the power supply is making a short circuit.

At this point it can be anything from the power transformer having an internal short. If u have the skills try to repair it urself with the help of the forum. If u don't , try not to open ur amp since it runs on 400+ Voltage DC and those are lethal.
              Hearing Is Believing

Comment

ok what i'll do first is open up the amp and have a look for anything obvious,i'll let you know if i find anything.

Comment

Working...
                X