Behringer GMX110 volume issue clean vs dirty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behringer GMX110 volume issue clean vs dirty

I'm brand new to guitars and picked up a used Behringer GMX110 amp. When I switch from the clean channel to the modeling channel the volume increases greatly - enough that I have to half the volume on my guitar to get the same volume. This happens regardless of where I have the drive set although it's worse the higher I have the drive. If I set drive to 0 and clean to 5 and turn the modeling on the volume at least doubles. Any ideas what could be the cause and how to fix it? Or am I making some stupid rookie mistake? Thanks in advance.

Very hard to say. The model channel is fairly complex, so there are a number of stages that could be untamed for some reason.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks for replying. I see your in Lansing - interestingly so am I! I also see how many posts you have and the responses, etc. Are you a repair person? Is this something that might be reasonable to fix? Feel free to PM me.

Comment

As I recall, with that amp the "clean" knob controls the volume of the clean channel in relation to the modeling channel, and the master knob controls the overall volume. So I think you need to turn up the "clean" knob and turn down the "master" knob.

Comment

It does but the "clean" knob affects the volume even when modeling is turned off. What I just found is that if I turn "clean" all the way up to 10 then the volume is pretty much the same with modeling on or off. The further I turn down "clean" the larger the volume difference between modeling on or off. This is what the manual says about the clean control:

On the GMX110, the CLEAN control modifies the volume of the CLEAN channel in relation to the MODELING CHANNEL
          so is it operating correctly and I need to have clean turned all the way up to 10 for there not to be a volume change between modeling on or off?

Comment

I think the idea is to turn up the "clean" knob until the volume of the two channels are the same (assuming you want them to be the same). Then adjust the overall output volume with the "master" knob. Whether the "clean" is supposed to be all the way up before the two channels are of equal volume, I don't know. Sorry.

Comment

That "in relation to" thing is the key. It sounds like it is operating correctly, Johnr seems to be on top of it.

HI Steve, welcome to the forum. yes, I run a general pro audio repair shop in LAnsing. you are welcome to drop by with your amp, though I suspect it doesn't need me. My quick once-over is no charge. We work musician hours, we open at 6:30PM and stay until dawn, mon-fri. And as much as I hate to have to say it, but that is a business phone, so to those who might be so inclined, please no calls expecting lengthy consultations.

Shiawassee Technical Services
              5223 South ML King
              Lansing, MI 48911
              517-882-2544

To the locals, that is a block south of Jolly Rd. I am in the same building as the Christian recording studio His Productions.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks a ton guys!! Looks like the answer to "Or am I making some stupid rookie mistake?" I asked above is YES! LOL I think I'm pointed in the right direction now. Really appreciate the help and I'll keep your contact info on hand for when/if I need repairs Enzo.

Comment

OK, well then I'll stop waiting and call it a night. Just kidding. Time to go home.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                    ...we open at 6:30PM and stay until dawn, mon-fri.

HOLY SH*T!!!
                    John R. Frondelli
                    dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Musicians are not up and around at 9AM, and I don;t want to be either. I prefer being up nights, and my clientelle know that if their amp was acting up all night at the club, they can bring it over after and drop it off on their way home.

Local musician Frog, he of Elderly Instruments fame as well, is great at that. he would be playing at a club a half mile up the road. He'd roar into the shop about 10PM during a break between sets, "here, this monitor is cutting out, see ya." An hour or two later, on another set break, he'd roar back down here to pick it up.

Comment

Working...
                      X