Identify Parts Please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identify Parts Please...

i have an old radio i'm trying to fix, and while i've fixed a tube amp, this is the first radio i've disassembled.

there are two rectangular metal boxes about the same size as the 12av6 and other 7-pin tubes. they look like each one has 4 pins through the board, plus 2 prongs that are grounded, presumably for the outer shield.

markings on one are smudged, and the other is marked 72C170-2. the board has the tubes labelled, but not these things...

can anyone tell me what they are? i'll put up a pic if my description isn't clear enough.

I.F. and R.F. Coils most likely, in a shielded can.
    If you can find the schematic you could reverse trace it .
    ie find a known component that connects to it in the chassis.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by oc disorder; 03-21-2010, 10:53 PM.

Comment

hm... ok. i don't have a schematic. that's why i was wondering what they are, so i know how to include them in the schematic as i'm drawing it.

Comment

Do you have a schematic? If not what is make and model, maybe we can find one!
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

i've done some searching, but came up with nothing.

it's made by Canadian Admiral Corporation, Chassis 5B4X, model 245X.

5 tubes: 50C5, 12AV6, 12BA6, 12BE6, 35W4

simple plastic case AM radio. the name on the front of the radio is simply 'Admiral'.

Comment

All American Five Radio

AA5 History

Comment

wow. i started with the wrong question. thanks for the link. this radio fits the description perfectly. i've got some reading to do.

Comment

So this schematic should be very close. Probably some bad caps, maybe some resistors, hopefully no open coils. I usually find when I have to rewind them (after a few loops around the basement) that the break is about an inch from the "other" end of the coil.
                Attached Files
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                X