broken Ampeg SVT 4 Pro - help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broken Ampeg SVT 4 Pro - help?

I love the sound of my Ampeg SVT 4 Pro and have never had a problem with it, until one day i turned it on and got no power whatsoever. I've checked the fuses and they all look fine, and i ordered a new circuit breaker just in case... but one of the wires has come off of my circuit board and i don't have a clue which connector it should be attached to.
    The wire from the On/Off switch has always been connected to J19 on the board and still is... does anyone know which connector the wire from the circuit breaker should be connected to?
    I've looked at the schematics posted in another area of the forum, but i couldn't find any info about this.... any help would be amazing

Thanks

Hi Neverall and welcome to the forum.

Firstly you have to be careful in this area - make sure its unplugged !
    I've attached the relevant parts of the schematics etc.

The circuit breaker goes between the incoming power J15 and the wire returning from the power switch.
    If you have a convenience outlet one end connects to J13.
    On the schematic you can see that J13 and J15 are connected together.
    It doesn't matter really if the c. outlet is on J15...just use J13.
    Also you can see that J18,J19 and J20 are all connected together
    and its obvious on the board layout as well that they are all on the one copper pad with C25 connecting at one end.
    Just thought I might point that out as they show the power switch connecting to J18.
    If the circuit breaker keeps tripping its time to go to the Ampeg Dr !
    Attached Files

Comment

Thank you so much for the help OC!!
      I'll try this out later on today and let you know how it goes.... keeping my fingers crossed!

Comment

Does anyone know the proper connections for a US transformer? Looking at the schematic it only tells the hookups for the Black and White wires on the primary. Where the heck do the grey, brown, blue, violet, and blue/white wires go?

Comment

The US transformer should only have the black and white wires. It seems you have the universal/export transformer. What number is on your transformer?

SLM used to send out a wiring chart with replacement transformers. You might contact customer service at Loud Technologies and ask if they have a power trasnformer wiring chart for the Crate/AMpeg replacement transformers.

What winds up happening is you conect two primaries in parallel and the several unused wires get parke4d on push terminals that do not go to anything.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks Enzo, yes it is the Universal transformer, with the -41 on the end of the PN (can't remember the rest of it right now- 168-94 something?)
            Trust me when I say that I've been all through the LOUD documentation looking for a wiring chart, lol.

Comment

Don't look, CALL. That wiring chart - as far as I know - is not on any of the SLM service disks. I don't recall any service bulletins for it. It was a handout sheet that came with the transformers when you ordered one.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Pretty sure the transformer is blown anyway, judging from the massive amount of current it's drawing with just the Black and white connectors plugged in, with only around 25v on the variac. I'll just get hooked up with a good old fasioned 2 wire primary transformer like the good lord intended.
                The wiring diagrams were a dead end, too. No knowledge of any paperwork shipped with the transformers, nothing in the boxes with the transformers out in the warehouse, nothing.
                Thanks, though!

Comment

Working...
                X